Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

manual for whirlpool washer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

We have a Whirlpool washing machine model LAC4900K5. The dealer sold us a repair manual called "Do-It-Yourself repair manual" that doesn't show our model.

We've had a leak coming from under the washer for awhile, but now the washer fills and doesn't drain, and it doesn't agitate or spin. I assum it's the drive belt and maybe the two-way valve (if it has one) but the manual doesn't show how to take this model apart.

Would appreciate help in finding a manual.

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

unless it was built before 1987, it's a direct drive machine. That means no belt, it has a drive coupling. Your leak is probably from the pump, and it sound like you may have broken the drive coupling.

If the pump leaks for a long time, it causes the motor shaft to rust and swell up inside the pump. You may not be able to get them apart. Plus, the water leak can ruin the front bearing of the motor.

Sounds like you got a few problem here.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:39 PM

I'm pretty sure it was built before l987.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

You can buy a manual for the direct drive washer here:

http://fixitnow.com/...ore-genuine.htm

This link will help you take apart your washer:

http://fixitnow.com/...-or-kenmore.htm

edited for typos

#5 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

Thanks - but I'm pretty sure it's not a direct drive washer. The control knobs are below the top on the cabinet.

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

The K series back then was either 1982 or 1985, will check my TOPS books tomorrow, probably belt driven, what is it you are wanting to do??  I can look in my old micro fishe tomorrow and see if I can find this.  If it will not agitate or spin or drain and the motor is running sounds like the belt might be broken, the pump could have been leaking and locked up causing the no drain which might have burned your belt off.  I will look this model up and see what is in there Thursday.  You could have a tub grommet leaking also. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:56 PM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

>The K series back then was either 1982 or 1985, will check my TOPS books tomorrow, >probably belt driven, what is it you are wanting to do??  I can look in my old micro fishe >tomorrow and see if I can find this. 

Thanks. I'd appreciate that. The parts/repair shop sold me a manual for a belt drive machine, but it (the manual machine) had the controls on top and it also had a service panel in back that made it look like it's be pretty easy to get into.  I would like to put in a new belt (if that's the problem) and fix the leak.

> If it will not agitate or spin or drain and the motor is running sounds like the belt might be >broken, the pump could have been leaking and locked up causing the no drain which >might have burned your belt off.  I will look this model up and see what is in there >Thursday.  You could have a tub grommet leaking also. 

#8 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

"Thanks. I'd appreciate that. The parts/repair shop sold me a manual for a belt drive machine, but it (the manual machine) had the controls on top and it also had a service panel in back that made it look like it's be pretty easy to get into.  I would like to put in a new belt (if that's the problem) and fix the leak"

You have what is called a portable or apartment sized washer

I would advise you find the source of the leak first. On your machine, it may be a real project. If you have a rusted out tub or baseplate, you need to go shopping for a new machine. .

On these, belt and pump replacement is much harder. When I say much harder, I mean much harder. Only the older techs will have ever done one, and they will be smart enough to not want involved in a nightmare job on a 20 year old machine. Many many people have failed while trying to weave that belt pattern, it is a real headache, especially if you never saw one in working order.

We used to cheer for our fellow techs who condemns one, many parts are NLA, no longer available.

Unless you are stout of heart,  junk it.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:18 AM

Sorry, I forgot to check this out, according to the TOPS book this was mfg. in 1982 but I cannot find this model number even in the old mocro fishe.  If it is this portable then the whole case should lift up after you remove the screws from around the case base and there should be pull out arms to rest the case on so one can access the guts of the washer.  I have a stack unit here in the shop that I use for our shop towels that has this same innner workings.  The original washer insides were trashed so we just slid another washer with the case removed in there and still use it.  They are more dificult to work on and be prepared to find major damage underneath if you do lift the case.  The Whirlpool Belt Driven do it yourself manual we have here in the shop has the Compact/Portable washer area near the back of the manual on page 139, did you see if it is in yours???  Part number 677813 Ref. B seems to be the manual number on the back cover of the publication. Another question, is the top of the washer metal or plastic??

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#10 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:01 PM

>The Whirlpool Belt Driven do it yourself manual we have here in the shop has the Compact/Portable washer area near the back of the manual on page 139, did you see if it is in yours???  Part number 677813 Ref. B seems to be the manual number on the back cover of the publication. Another question, is the top of the washer metal or plastic??<

You're right -the compact/portable washer area in our manual starts at page 135. The part # is the same but it also says rev.I. The top of the washer is metal.

Thanks again.

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:52 AM

Cool, you should be good to go, we have repaired several of these washers, are more difficult that the regular sized ones but with the instructions in the manual you will be fine!  ;)

#12 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the help. The new belt is now installed and we're able to wash clothes again.

There's a couple of other problems: there's a small leak coming from somewhere under the washer. The manual doesn't seem to discuss how to locate where the leak is coming from. it gives several suggestions of what it might be, but nothing on how to make sure where the leak is coming from. The washer also leaks out of the drain hose. I saw in the manual, that a low water level might cuase a leak underneath. The manual says this could be the pump, control magnet, or cam bar, but doesn't say how to find out which one it is.

Thanks again.

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:53 AM

Usually a leak on the belt drive Whirlpool/Kenmore machines, when you can't actually find the source, (like a obvious hose or something), then it will be one of three things.

If the leak is coming from between the outer tub and the bottom support plate and leaking thru the holes and over the edges you can be sure it's one or more of the following.

The the centerpost seal, the tub bolt kit, and or a hole rusted in tub.

You alway replace the centerpost seal and tub bolt kit together never just one or the other.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics