Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Wireless phone (2.4ghz) interferes with wireless router (g) 2.4ghz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 demonrow

demonrow

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:51 AM

Is this a feasible scenario? I have found a few posts in less esteemed forums which tell of this interference, but don't offer any suggestions for avoiding it. Since I have VOIP, the phone modem and the cable modem & router are all on the same desk. I have NOT hardwired my VOIP into my old land line system yet, in case we decide we do need to return to the olden days and get a Bell line again.

To recap:
Wireless G router (using cable) 2.4 ghz
Wireless phone base station 2.4 ghz

Questions:
1. Do they interfere with each other?
2. Will simple distance correct my problem (i.e moving phone to another room)?
3. Do I simply have to live with crappy voice quality on VOIP (maybe its not the intereference...maybe its just not good technology)?
4. Would a Wireless N router help with signal strength?
5. Do I have to live with no internet in basement since it has to go through a floor and a concrete foundation wall? Although the phone gets down there...

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Any advice, admonishments, suggestions, ridicule, support, or simple camaraderie will be too.

Grazi,
D
"Look before you leap".

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 demonrow

demonrow

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

Duh, google search...

http://www.infopacke...eless_phone.htm

http://www.anetforum...readIndex=29876

http://forum.noteboo...ad.php?t=253490

http://forums.linksy...thread.id=76660

Looks like I try changing the channel on my router, or try moving them apart, or try a new wireless "N" router....
"Look before you leap".

#3 tatinney

tatinney

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

You could also purchase 5.8 or 6.0 cordless phones.

OR

You could easily 'wire' the house following these steps:

1. Find the phone box on the side of your house, and disconnect the 'ma bell' line coming TO the box from either underground, or overhead line. Leave any/all lines going from the box into the house intact/connected.

2. Now, if the integrity of the phone lines in your house is intact, you can simply run a line from your voip box straight into the closest phone jack in your house.

What you have done is used your voip is the source for your house, instead of ma bell as the source.

You can now plug your cordless base station into another phone jack somewhere else in the house, preferably further away from your router.

Changing the phones is the better idea, but option 2 is free :-)

Good Luck!

#4 demonrow

demonrow

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

Ah yes. That was the plan until we got a bell line installed (business line for the office), so I ran a line from the vonage box to another location (2 rooms away from the router). This seems to have helped with the phone signal (and the extra phone is a DECT - much better reception) but the wireless signal is still weak in the basement. Maybe too many walls for wireless 'g'...
"Look before you leap".

#5 demonrow

demonrow

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

But thanks for the reply, Tatinney!
"Look before you leap".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics