Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

donb

How to get front off KA dishwasher?????

8 posts in this topic

I need to change the front panel from black to stainless.

I have the panel, but can't seem to get the old one off, it seems to be attached in the middle but I can't see any fasteners.

The model # is KUDS01ILBL1

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

There are torx screws inside of the door attaching the panel to the inner door. Remove those and the panel lifts right off.

I removed all the torx screws around the perimeter, as well as the control panel and tried to lift it off, push it down, pull it out with no luck.

There seems to be something else holding it on, but I can't see it.

OK, I'm being told by another repair site, (nowhere as nice as this one!), that I need to remove the "round vent cover" on the inside of the door.

How does this come off, there are no visible screws.

[user=2415]donb[/user] wrote:

that I need to remove the "round vent cover" on the inside of the door.

Balderdash! If you've removed the four torx screws, then just close the door and pull the top of the control console away from the door.

This couldn't be easier-- don't make it hard.

Do not mess with the vent, it has nothing to do with your problem.

Can you feel a piece of styrofoam between the inner and outer door?  If so, I know what the problem is.

1) Kitchenaid put a molded block of high density foam between the inner door and outer panel.

2) Kitchenaid also put a sticky sound deadening material on the inside of the inner panel.

3)  After use, the foam block ends up glued to the inner door.

4) The only way to get it apart is by using enough force to break the foam block. I'm talking a LOT of force.

I can do it without damaging anything(except the foam), but I'm a factory repair guy, so I've done alot. Plus I'm a great big guy who likes to force things.

Nick

Nick, you are da man!

You can't argue with experience.

I took out the screws, sat on the floor in front of the beast, and ripped its face off.

Well, kinda.

It does take alot of force,but it came off intact, except for a little foam, which scraped off the insulation easily.

I did manage to bend a bracket a little, but a tap of a hammer took care of it.

Now the dishwasher matches the rest of the kitchen.

Thanks, Don

Glad I could help