Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How to get front off KA dishwasher?????

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donb

donb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:16 AM

I need to change the front panel from black to stainless.

I have the panel, but can't seem to get the old one off, it seems to be attached in the middle but I can't see any fasteners.

The model # is KUDS01ILBL1

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:48 AM

There are torx screws inside of the door attaching the panel to the inner door. Remove those and the panel lifts right off.

#3 donb

donb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:54 AM

I removed all the torx screws around the perimeter, as well as the control panel and tried to lift it off, push it down, pull it out with no luck.

There seems to be something else holding it on, but I can't see it.

#4 donb

donb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

OK, I'm being told by another repair site, (nowhere as nice as this one!), that I need to remove the "round vent cover" on the inside of the door.

How does this come off, there are no visible screws.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

[user=2415]donb[/user] wrote:

that I need to remove the "round vent cover" on the inside of the door.

Balderdash! If you've removed the four torx screws, then just close the door and pull the top of the control console away from the door.

This couldn't be easier-- don't make it hard.

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:42 PM

Do not mess with the vent, it has nothing to do with your problem.

Can you feel a piece of styrofoam between the inner and outer door?  If so, I know what the problem is.

1) Kitchenaid put a molded block of high density foam between the inner door and outer panel.

2) Kitchenaid also put a sticky sound deadening material on the inside of the inner panel.

3)  After use, the foam block ends up glued to the inner door.

4) The only way to get it apart is by using enough force to break the foam block. I'm talking a LOT of force.

I can do it without damaging anything(except the foam), but I'm a factory repair guy, so I've done alot. Plus I'm a great big guy who likes to force things.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 donb

donb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

Nick, you are da man!

You can't argue with experience.

I took out the screws, sat on the floor in front of the beast, and ripped its face off.

Well, kinda.

It does take alot of force,but it came off intact, except for a little foam, which scraped off the insulation easily.

I did manage to bend a bracket a little, but a tap of a hammer took care of it.

Now the dishwasher matches the rest of the kitchen.

Thanks, Don

#8 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:08 PM

Glad I could help
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics