Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Hotpoint WWA8850 Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MareFran

MareFran

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:08 AM

I have a GE Hotpoint 9 Cycle washer the model number of which is WWA8850 (on a small plaque located at the top of the back of the appliance).  I set the unit to wash and came back hours later to find that it was still agitating but had advanced no further than that in the cycle.  I manually walked the dial through all the cycles (they all work) but the dial doesn't seem to advance automatically any longer.  The washer will fill and begin to agitate but I beleive the timer is shot.  No amount of jiggling or tapping seems to connect any loose wires. 

If the issue is indeed the timer, I would need to order and install a replacement.  Before doing so I'd like to look at the original part so I'll have a visual of what I need when ordering on the site.  How in the world do I get to the timer?  Although there are a few nuts/screws I can see - none of them seem to be a phillips or flat-head type.  Can you help me on the path to GE Washer Timer enlightenment? 

In your debt - Mary Frances

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:56 AM

http://www.partselect.com/Schematics/GE/00002144i01.gif

Old-style GE. It appears as though you may be able to buy the timer motor separately, but we'll need a complete model number (there should be 5 letters after what you gave us). Check for a plate with the model/serial number, possibly on the left hand side near the bottom. You need to remove the screws in the back panel (hex head?) and remove the whole console, turning it on its "front".

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 MareFran

MareFran

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

Thanks very much - I'll be printing out that diagram and crawling behind my washer tonight.  I'd say I can hardly wait - but that would be a lie.  Will return with more information! 

-Mary Frances

#4 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

DON'T CRAWL BEHIND IT!!!

Doh!!

Too late.

#5 MareFran

MareFran

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:09 AM

Found the full number WWA8850RBLWH - any idea if replacement of the timer be a fairly straight-foward project?  I am hoping the innards of this washer are not a confusing nest of wires and circuit boards!

Just searched through the parts portion of the site - there are two different timer assembly peices that look exactly the same to me - how do I know which is correct?  Will the non-functioning timer in the washer have an item number on it to compare to those in the database?

-MF

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:02 AM

Just had a look...this is one of these odd situations which occasionally arises with respect to parts. The timer (GE part number WH12X900) is in stock, and is actually cheaper that the motor alone (WH12X633) which is a special order.  Order it from the link at the top of the page, and if it doesn't do the trick, return it for a no-questions-asked refund (less shipping).

Posted Image

One wiring connector to unplug and connect to the new timer. Follow the first drawing to get access to the timer.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics