Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Magtag 300 QuietSeries Dishwasher 2&1/2 yrs old

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

Hi,

I'm very glad I found this forum.  I am going to make 2 attempts in my kitchen.  I have HAD it.  Dishwasher not cleaning worth a crap and freezer not making ice (brand new fridge 2yrs ago too).  Hubby is ready to call the repairman (he is not handy with this stuff.)   I just want it done and I'm not afraid to do it with some research/knowledge on my part.

First I'm tackling the dishwasher.  New home, new maytag dw 2&1/2 yrs ago.  Worked great until the last year or a little longer.  I thought it was due to the arms clogging up all the time.  So, every so often i would clean out and viola, it would clean slightly better for awhile.  It still never cleaned great, would leave gunk/bread crumby stuff, and glasses started having cloudy film on them which would wash off by handwashing.  Changed detergents, rinse stuff, etc.  Nothing helped.   I now suspect I never addressed the true issue and it's still manifesting itself.

I did the empty glass thing for 30 secs.  It did NOT fill with water.  About 1/2" water it it was all and it was a rocks glass!  Ok, so I clicked into a wash impeller msn page and am all confused.

Is this something I can tackle?  Anyone want to comment? 

Thanks,

Michelle

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:30 AM

Ok, I got antsy & posted.  I have been through the diagnostic & repair guide.  DW fills fine.  Temp is a little low at beginning of cycle but goes up to 138 later in wash cycle. 

One problem found:  30 sec glass on top rack test FAILED miserably.  Water jet arms are cleaned out sooooooo that means it's not pumping with enough pressure right?  All the literature refers to GE models.  What now?

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Michelle

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:12 AM

May not be getting enough water into the unit.  When it is washing after it stops filling, open the door and see how much water is in there, should be up around the element perhaps, in the bottom of the d/w.  If it seems low, pour water in there with a pitcher to get ut up closer to the element and close the door, see if this helps the washing.  You might have a fill valve going bad not putting enough water into the tub for the pump/motor to give enough pressure to the spray arm.  Worth a try, this does not help might have something clogged in the pump/motor.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:25 AM

Ok, already checked that.  It fills fine to me since the water is up actually at if not slightly over the heating element.  But I'll go try adding more water with a pitcher and see if that help.  Gosh I hope you can't overfill, lol.  I'll be reasonable when filling.

I can't see/find any trap/filter in the bottom of the unit anywhere.  How can I find out if there is one?  Maybe there is something stuck there that is keeping the water that is in the tub from making it the pump to be distributed/redistributed. 

I don't know.  Thinking out loud.  I suppose something could be stuck in the pump/motor.  One would think there is something to prevent something from getting in there but that is prob too logical.  

Thanks for the response,
Michelle 

#5 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:23 AM

Now stand back and use yoiur mystic powers and fous on the lower spray arm,   got it,  now remove lower spray arm, now remove cover below spray arm(most likely torx heads) now remove the filter and replace, don't bother washing, you can try if you want. you can get that part here rather quickly I might add. If you have a lot of cr<p in your water you might want to consider replacing the upper and lower spray arms also, you can never get these clean enough :rocker:

#6 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:15 AM

Alrighty, I'm going to pull that filter.  I figured there had to be one somewhere ;)  6th sense or whatever, lol.

I normally don't cut power when I pull the upper & lower arms to clean them out.  Do I need to when I pull the filter?  Prob be a good idea huh? Once I get down as far as the filter, are there any gaskets or anything that I would be wise to replace so I don't end up with leaks?  What about anything needing to be lubricated when I put it back together.  Just trying to think ahead. 

Yeah, I tend to get a lot of crap in both the upper/lower arms but it seems to me not from the fresh water supply.  It is little bits of residue from food, cornbread, whatever that makes it's way from the dishes.   Is that what you meant?

Where do I order parts, ie. filter, arms, etc.  I have gotten really adept at cleaning those arms out since I do it so often.  Aquarium tubing brushes work great.  I'm more worried about wearing out that screw for the lower arm doing it so often.  But maybe I'll go ahead if they aren't much. 

Thanks a lot for your help,

Michelle :)

#7 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:38 AM

Ok, I'm running into trouble.  Or more questions rather.  I got off the smaller inside cover and a larger cover.  It reveals (gasp) icky, old slimy detergent and yuck stuff.  I see some almost sheer fabric stuff that I am assuming is the filter but how does that come off?  No more screws.  And I did get it off of the tubing that carries water to the upper arm.

Sigh, wish I had a picture book maybe :))

Michelle

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:53 AM

Get your parts right here....

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#9 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

Ok, thanks.  I already found the parts and looked through 10 pages for my model and don't find anything that has a picture that looks like what I need.  This part would be large in size.  I'm going to go back and try to figure out how to get the thing off.  If that doesn't work, can I take a digi pic?  Looking through the list, if there is no pic of this part, several descriptions could be it.  Got any suggestions as to what it's called?

:)

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

Post the model number and series # so we can see what you are looking at.

#11 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

Maytag QuietSeries 300

Model#: MDB7600AWS

Serial#: 12859183AR

Michelle

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:41 AM

Is this where you are at, the filter???

Posted Image

#13 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:54 AM

a filter flowplate assy maybe? 

#14 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:12 AM

No, I have removed that filter basket from the manifold, cleaned it (was nuttin in there), and replaced it already.   Sorry I didn't see your pic last time.  We must have been posting at same time & I didn't refresh. 

I'm talking in the center on the bottom of the tub.  I just now went ahead and removed the impeller.  After I removed that, checked it out, not cracked or anything like that, the filter thingy came out easy which had been under the impeller.   I also could visualize an intake looking area about the size of a quarter under that whole filter assy thing that is clogged with some walnut shell & crap it looks like. 

Can I just clean all that gunk out, can I just wash this entire filter assy thing, and put it all back together?  Do I need to lubricate anything before reassy or be careful not to get water into anything in particular?  Filter thing is not that dirty inside, but there are accumulations around and under all the individual part connections.  Sheesh!  All that to get at those walnut shells?  I'll go finish looking now.  I can't imagine that just some tiny pieces of shell or whatever that is could keep the whole thing from working right.  But maybe that is just me.

#15 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:30 AM

OMG!  Guess what that was down in that intake?  A screw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NOT walnut shells!  It was so rusted that it was disintergrating.  That had to be there from original assy!  NO way could that have made it past that filter without tearing a hole in it. 

whoa, can't believe that.  Ok, I now that I have a clear view of the bottom of the tub, I can describe a bit better for you.   There is a round well/moat that has water in it.  In this well in the back 2 corners of the circle are two holes about an inch or so in diameter.  One is completely open (which I think is the final drain hole) and the other has a plastic thing coming up from the center but with enough space around it to hold this rotting screw.  I am not sure what that hole/drain is for???  to recirculate water back to be pumped up the manifold?  I don't know how I am going to get all that rust cleaned out of that hole but I'll try.  At this point, I don't think I should open up the actual pump/motor, do you? 

What do you think?

#16 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:34 AM

I would not take it apart any further than needed, the yucky junk you found might have been the original problem to begin with??

#17 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:52 AM

Yep, I agree.  That screw has been down there a LONG time.  At this point, I don't want to tear into the pump/motor.  I'll put it back together, run it and see how it does. 

Before I reassemble what I have torn down, do I need to grease any of the screws before I put them back in?  If so, what do I use?  Can I run to store & buy it so I can finish dw tonite?   What about spraying them with Pam or rub w/veggie oil?  I know girlie answers but oh well.

Oh, and if you have a diagram of the bottom of the tub, would you look and see if I can replace that plastic thingy in the left hand hole on the bottom moat and give me part #?  That screw & rust has eaten into I think.  It feels loose...maybe I just need to try to get it out and clean around it too? 

One more thing, if I have a hard time getting this built up detergent residue off of any of these parts & covers, can I soak in vinegar to remove, scrub with soap, and rinse? 

Thanks again for all of your help.  It's 4pm and my goodness, I might be done before 5.  I'm not even going to tell hubby.  He would never believe it.  Course I do have to put this kitchen back together before 5:15pm, ha!

#18 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:23 PM

Should be ok, any type of cleaner or soak them in a hot solution of water and dish det, and scrub.

#19 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:24 PM

Well, I have completely cleaned every tiny part of this dw, reassembled, powered it on and run it.  Used 4 glasses in each corner and tested for 30 secs.  I used half size rocks glasses and 2 of them were about 1/2-3/4 full of water and others were way less.  SO, I guess I have suffered through an exercise in futility today but at least I know I am capable of tearing down my dw and successfully putting it back together completely spic & span. 

What is next?  Oh, I still don't know what that other "hole" in the bottom moat is all about or what it does.  Any ideas?  The other one in the back right corner is obviously the drain with a little rubber thingy on top to keep stuff from the disposal from entering back in the dw. 

Is it the pump?  And that leads to my next question......with the age of this dw, this pump/motor should still be under warranty.  Can I replace it myself or am I forced into calling it in? 

Thanks again.  You guys rock!

MIchelle :D

#20 n2themystic

n2themystic

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:53 AM

Rethinking this morning.  Is it a possibility to have crap hung up in the motor/pump?  Maybe I should go ahead and tear down dw again today.  Pull the pump and see if there is any debris there too?  That is the only place left I can think of that maybe I need to clean out.  Is there any other pressure tests?

I'm frustrated cos the darn thing seems so close to working right.  But alas, no. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics