Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
panochapower

air gap (dishwasher)

7 posts in this topic

at some point during putting in a new sink without reinstalling the disposer i heard a noise. the air gap looked different, broken somehow. i assumed thats what the noise was & put in a new one.

when i ran the dw, i saw wastewater coming from the airgap. while this was happening i grabbed the bigger hose & changes in temp & vibration i felt indicated wastewater flowed thru it as well.

knowing my work habits & just having had a damn good look at the lines compel me to suspect the 1 thing i know next to nothing about: the air gap. i know its some sort of wastewater check-valve but i dont know what sort.

the new one came without instructions & consisted of a cap, 2 nuts + washer for mounting & the main body. how can i tell whether it is defective or not?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Where does the line go after the air gap, to the disposal or a fitting on the trap?

Also, try switching the lines at the air gap, I believe they are ment to flow in one direction.

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

Where does the line go after the air gap, to the disposal or a fitting on the trap?

dw => air gap => drain tail pipe

(disposer permanently removed from system)

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

Also, try switching the lines at the air gap, I believe they are ment to flow in one direction.

definitely makes my list

but i still wanna be able to rule out the 1 right-in-front-of-me, i-have-yet-to-understand thing, first

well!

that was the most enlightening piece of info ive read on the subject so far - thanks (i think) for reducing it to a code issue...

dont spose you know where i can see what an air gap looks like sliced down the middle? for closure if nothing else?

i just wanna know if were talking about a fancy channel cut thru it or moving parts inside it - then i could reason channel obstruction or seized/jammed parts - might even be worth returning to "home dummer-than-me-tho" (especially if not a local code requirement)