Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

panochapower

air gap (dishwasher)

7 posts in this topic

at some point during putting in a new sink without reinstalling the disposer i heard a noise. the air gap looked different, broken somehow. i assumed thats what the noise was & put in a new one.

when i ran the dw, i saw wastewater coming from the airgap. while this was happening i grabbed the bigger hose & changes in temp & vibration i felt indicated wastewater flowed thru it as well.

knowing my work habits & just having had a damn good look at the lines compel me to suspect the 1 thing i know next to nothing about: the air gap. i know its some sort of wastewater check-valve but i dont know what sort.

the new one came without instructions & consisted of a cap, 2 nuts + washer for mounting & the main body. how can i tell whether it is defective or not?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Where does the line go after the air gap, to the disposal or a fitting on the trap?

Also, try switching the lines at the air gap, I believe they are ment to flow in one direction.

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

Where does the line go after the air gap, to the disposal or a fitting on the trap?

dw => air gap => drain tail pipe

(disposer permanently removed from system)

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

Also, try switching the lines at the air gap, I believe they are ment to flow in one direction.

definitely makes my list

but i still wanna be able to rule out the 1 right-in-front-of-me, i-have-yet-to-understand thing, first

well!

that was the most enlightening piece of info ive read on the subject so far - thanks (i think) for reducing it to a code issue...

dont spose you know where i can see what an air gap looks like sliced down the middle? for closure if nothing else?

i just wanna know if were talking about a fancy channel cut thru it or moving parts inside it - then i could reason channel obstruction or seized/jammed parts - might even be worth returning to "home dummer-than-me-tho" (especially if not a local code requirement)