Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

air gap (dishwasher)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 panochapower

panochapower

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:27 AM

at some point during putting in a new sink without reinstalling the disposer i heard a noise. the air gap looked different, broken somehow. i assumed thats what the noise was & put in a new one.

when i ran the dw, i saw wastewater coming from the airgap. while this was happening i grabbed the bigger hose & changes in temp & vibration i felt indicated wastewater flowed thru it as well.

knowing my work habits & just having had a damn good look at the lines compel me to suspect the 1 thing i know next to nothing about: the air gap. i know its some sort of wastewater check-valve but i dont know what sort.

the new one came without instructions & consisted of a cap, 2 nuts + washer for mounting & the main body. how can i tell whether it is defective or not?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:24 PM

Where does the line go after the air gap, to the disposal or a fitting on the trap?
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:26 PM

Also, try switching the lines at the air gap, I believe they are ment to flow in one direction.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:42 PM

Some background info on air gaps here:

http://fixitnow.com/...in-air-gaps.htm

#5 panochapower

panochapower

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:01 AM

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

Where does the line go after the air gap, to the disposal or a fitting on the trap?

dw => air gap => drain tail pipe

(disposer permanently removed from system)

#6 panochapower

panochapower

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:09 AM

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

Also, try switching the lines at the air gap, I believe they are ment to flow in one direction.

definitely makes my list

but i still wanna be able to rule out the 1 right-in-front-of-me, i-have-yet-to-understand thing, first

#7 panochapower

panochapower

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

well!

that was the most enlightening piece of info ive read on the subject so far - thanks (i think) for reducing it to a code issue...

dont spose you know where i can see what an air gap looks like sliced down the middle? for closure if nothing else?

i just wanna know if were talking about a fancy channel cut thru it or moving parts inside it - then i could reason channel obstruction or seized/jammed parts - might even be worth returning to "home dummer-than-me-tho" (especially if not a local code requirement)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics