Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Washer Model A181 Motor probs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madurobob

madurobob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:52 PM

My many years old A181 Maytag washer stopped working - motor just hummed. Took off front cover, kicked motor... it started! However, wife will not agree to kick motor every time she does laundry. She'd rather kick me.

Eventually I found a small solenoid switch on the top of the motor. I found when I put power to the motor and push the switch, the motor starts... ditto if I spin the drive shaft manually to start (gotta watch out for those belts, tho).

Motor is a two speed 2-1666, but I also have a 2-1807 motor scavenged from another machine that acts exactly the same when connected to the A181 wiring harness. I figure the liklihood of two motors with the exact same problem is low... its more likely that something else in the washer is malfunctioning. A poor connection? A bad timer motor?

How do I test? Should I be able to put a "hot" lead on one motor terminal and a "neutral" on another and see that solenoid switch close? I assume the timer motor sends volatage briefly down one of those wires to trigger the starting... but which wire?

Any help appreciated!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_Intheswamp_*

Lurker_Intheswamp_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:13 AM

I wish someone had responded to this.  It sounds like what is happening with our Maytag.  It had been where you could move the agitator a little bit, or maybe the tub itself, and the machine would start agitating.  Last night I  almost gave up when I tilted the machine backwards, lifting the bottom off the ground about 6" and dropped it.  Machine started working!  Only problem is I don't think the wife will go for that manuver.

[user=2441]madurobob[/user] wrote:

My many years old A181 Maytag washer stopped working - motor just hummed. Took off front cover, kicked motor... it started! However, wife will not agree to kick motor every time she does laundry. She'd rather kick me.

Eventually I found a small solenoid switch on the top of the motor. I found when I put power to the motor and push the switch, the motor starts... ditto if I spin the drive shaft manually to start (gotta watch out for those belts, tho).

Motor is a two speed 2-1666, but I also have a 2-1807 motor scavenged from another machine that acts exactly the same when connected to the A181 wiring harness. I figure the liklihood of two motors with the exact same problem is low... its more likely that something else in the washer is malfunctioning. A poor connection? A bad timer motor?

How do I test? Should I be able to put a "hot" lead on one motor terminal and a "neutral" on another and see that solenoid switch close? I assume the timer motor sends volatage briefly down one of those wires to trigger the starting... but which wire?

Any help appreciated!

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:24 AM

Unfortunately, no wiring diagram available online for this veteran of the laundry wars. There should be one inside your control console - if you can scan and post, it would be helpful.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics