Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Removing Gum from Whirlpool Gas Dryer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ADJordan

ADJordan

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:18 PM

A forgetful child has befouled my dryer by leaving gum in the pockets. :X

This is a Whirlpool LGR5600JQ0 gas dryer. The gum is Bazooka.

I have removed the largest chunks of gum. Also ran the dryer (empty) and was able to loosen some additional gum, which came off with much rubbing of the paper towel.  Yet more gum still mocks me from within the drum!

I am hesitant to use an abrasive pad, (don't want to damage the drum) OR to spray some sort of cleaning product in there. The neighbor suggested WD-40, but I fear possible combustion and/or really greasy garments.

Can you advise this grasshopper on how to correct this grievous situation before we all run out of clean, dry kimonos?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:21 PM

I don't know if it will work in your dryer,but my son got some gum on one of his dvd's a few days ago and I had to use cooking oil to get it off.

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

I hear that ice cubes will remove gum, it freezes it so it gets brittle then just chips off.  Also read where peanut butter will remove it, the oil in the peanut butter will soften it allowing you to clean it off.  We use a product called crud buster to remove anything from everything at the house, worth a try if all else fails. Even gets ink out of clothes.

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#4 ADJordan

ADJordan

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

After the large chunks were removed, the remaining gum was in little threads all around the drum. We tried using ice, but the gum was too thin. It got 'wet', but wouldn't chip off .

Wal-Mart was out of Crud Cutter (must've been a big week for gum in the dryer?)

DH finally took a scrubbie from the kitchen sink and applied "Goo Gone".  Then he went back and made sure all the "Goo Gone" was out and ran the dryer empty to make sure we didn't get any on the clothing. This got rid of about 99% of the gum.

He's considering removing the drum this weekend and using the Power Washer on it to get the last bits of gum out. But nothing is sticking to the clothing, which is good enough for me right now.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions!

#5 NumyMufn

NumyMufn

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:22 PM

Sorry I'm late! This just happened to me tonight and I used wet fabric softener sheets to remove the gum. It worked like a charm! The sheets are just abrasive enough to get all the stray bits off (although a bit of elbow grease is required) and I didn't have to worry about flammable stuff in my dryer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics