Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Washer door won't latch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tc

tc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:59 AM

Kenmore model 110.42822201, 2 years old.

I may have broken the latch on my washer door (front loading). When I opened the door, it seemed stuck so I pulled harder - no yank, but harder than usual. It opened, but now it won't latch shut. The cycle had not completed - I think there may have been a split second power failure that interrupted the cycle - there was water still in the tub. Perhaps the door was not "stuck" but locked?

If I hold the door closed, the washer seems to work fine, though I only tested it for a couple minutes. With the door held shut, I started a new cycle, then cancelled it. I hoped that would reset the locking mechanism, but no luck.

Is there some easy trick? If not, is this a repair I can do myself? I have no experience, but I can follow directions just fine. Should I take the thing apart before ordering parts?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:22 AM

May have cracked the door latch (screws onto door, goes into lock).

Posted Image

FYI, there is an emergency door release on these machines. Remove the bottom panel, there is a ring (out of sight) on the bottom of the lock which can be pulled to release it.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:24 AM

Most likely ya actually broke the door lock assembly

Look at the front of the washer and look where the latch goes into the unit ... Its very possible that you broke the door lock assembly...many times ya can actually see in like that kinda square type hole that it locks into... I have done many of these and I believe that Kenmore even relaesed a service flash on it   ... Off hand the part # is 8181700     To change the door lock assembly it can be done right from the front of the washer.

Remove the sping around the front boot

Remove the right side of the boot from the front face of washer

Remove the 3 Torx screw that hold the door lock assembly in

There are three connectors to the lock assembly  remove

Then put the assembly back in and work in reverse    ... The hardest part is putting the spring back on over the boot ... It would be better if you have an extra set of hand   .... It takes me less than 10 minutes to do these.

#4 tc

tc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:49 AM

Looks like it is a broken latch. I ordered the part - thanks for the number - that was very helpful.

Any special tips for getting the spring back on?

Thanks.

#5 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

Well what ya do is get the boot back on thats the easy part     .... then with you and the help of someoneget ready for the this.... Step 1 drink a beer  and step 2 let the other person drink a beer .....   Actually picture the boot as a circle or a clock.....  once the boot is on and ya have the wire thing with the spring ready to go   .... start at the 11' oclock position    ...   as you pull it down  let the other person put there fingers on it at the 3 and 9 oclock positions      then hold your finger at the 7 o clock and the 5 oclock and it should go right on   .....          It may take ya twice or so   but hey   .... we saved ya money  LOL    Good Luck   

#6 tc

tc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:15 PM

We did it! We used bike tire levers to get the wire jobby back on. It was pretty easy.

Thanks for all the help.

- tc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics