Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Subzero 550 Icemaker (Whirlpool Style)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 no_ice_guy

no_ice_guy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

We have a Subzero with Whirlpool IM.

Just replaced the motor module...after reinstalling the IM in the freezer, the water valve cycles on and off properly, but water now spills past the IM and down the inside of the freezer. Problem seems to be that the water fill tube no longer overlaps the edge of the little plastic receptacle that projects up from the side/end of the ice maker assy. (Looks like this receptacle is supposed to form a chute to guide the water down into the tray.)

As best I can tell, I had the IM installed directly up against the panel it attaches to in the freezer. And nothing looks bent. Also, I gave the water tube a pretty good tug to see if I had jammed it back away from the IM, but it doesn't budge.

Is/was there a nipple or fitting of some kind that went onto the end of the water tube, that carried the water over into the receptacle (ie., that I lost in the process of taking the IM in and out of the freezer)? I looked thru all the photos for parts for "Subzero + icemaker" at the repairclinic site but didn't see anything like this.

I did remove and reinstall the plastic finger pieces and receptacle, so maybe I mis-re-assembled it somehow. But it looks like there's only one way to attach the receptacle to the tray...

As a quick, temporary fix I cut the neck off of a plastic water bottle and used it to sort of extend the end of the water fill tube. It leaks a little bit, and I want to fix it properly, but am at a loss for what I hosed up......

Any thoughts?

TIA,
Guy

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:27 AM

The end of the fill tube must go into the little white box on the end of the IM. You must have it out of position slightly.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:08 AM

And that's all it takes is slightly because if the tube isn't seated right down in the cup, you'll make a beautiful frozen waterfill inside your freezer.

Sometimes, these are hard to get eyeballs on. Use a flashlight and inspection mirror if you need to.

#4 no_ice_guy

no_ice_guy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the response....

Agreed & understood, but those are the issues I'm looking at (and that have me stumped)
1. The end of the tube doesn't want to overhang into the little box receptacle (hence, the overflow);

2. If I stick my fingers up and wiggle the end of the tube where it tries to go in to the little box, and/or try to push the box back towards the end of the tube, there's no wiggle/give in either the tube or the box. Bottom line: There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust or extend or move either the end of the water tube or the top of the little box receptacle to bridge the gap;

3. When I (re)mount the IM to the panel it attaches to, I verified that the 3 IM mounting feet were up tight against the panel and the mounting screws were screwed in all the way.

But, it never leaked before, and it leaks now, so what am doing wrong?

But wait, there's more (a 2nd problem seems to have manifested):
How important is the thermal grease to the operation of the thermistor that senses the mold temp? About a month ago, the IM wasn't cycling on its own. I thought a busted thermistor might be the cause, so I took it out of the assy, placed it in a shallow cup of water (contacts up) with a (digital) thermometer probe, and checked continuity (open/close) vs temperature. I froze it solid (during which it was closed), then verified that it opened as it warmed up (by melting the ice with tap water). I made sure I didn't immerse the thermistor in water....

However, I didn't have any thermal grease (or adhesive - whatver its attached with), so I just reinserted it in the tray assy and made sure everything was screwed back together firmly, which is how I left it. I then installed a new motor module, saw the leak problem (see above), and am now faced with fixing the leak, as well as getting back to the (potential) thermistor/adhesive issue...

So, even though I have a slight water leak, the unit still isn't cycling on its own.

Do I need to go find some thermal adhesive/grease (and maybe a new thermistor) locally?

Gosh this is fun.

Thanks for your expertise....

Guy

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:09 AM

The tube pulls out. It's probably stuck in there by frozen water. Twisty pully. Remove icemaker if you have to.

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:26 AM

*** Twisty pully***    Yep, we believe in this high tech jargen here!!!  LOL   :P
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:57 AM

Yes, the use of exact terminology is an imperative pre-condition for clear comooooonications. :bart:

#8 no_ice_guy

no_ice_guy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:22 AM

"twisty pully" works for me......

any idea on about how much of it should overhang into the little white box?

also, any comments on the thermistor installation (ie., do i need to re-grease it..(see end of previous post from me))

thanks again

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:13 AM

I would be looking at the back of the frig to see how much of the tube assy is sticking out the rear of the box, you might even be able to  twistie pullie it out from there easier and re-inatall it by pushing it in, get your blow dryer to heat the area around the tube so you do not break it.  Do not have a clue about the lube question, will leave that to the Master.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:23 AM

[user=1580]no_ice_guy[/user] wrote:

also, any comments on the thermistor installation (ie., do i need to re-grease it..(see end of previous post from me)}

That's thermal mastic, it improves the heat transfer between the thermistor and the ambient air. It's nice for more accurate temperature control but not crucial the run the refrigerator. You can buy a tube of thermal mastic from your local hardware store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics