Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dacor gas cooktop igniter keeps on sparking

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 greyhound4334

greyhound4334

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:20 PM

Hi

[First, sorry for the cross post. I posted a reply under the Samruai's gas igniter article, but I notice that it doesn't get updated often, and when I later discovered the forums, this seems like a better place to have the discussion]

So, the igniters have always been a little flakey (they spark but don't always ignite), but never a real problem until today.

After the housecleaner left, I noticed two of the igniters wouldn't stop sparking until I disconnected the power. When I restored the power, they were OK until I tried turning one of the burners on, when the problem recurred (they just kept on sparking).

It's a Dacor 4 burner unit, model # SGM3645.

Grateful for any advice. By the way, I can't find anything that looks like the "typical spark module" from the article (http://fixitnow.com/...velation_17.htm), so among other things, I guess I need an answer to that dumb question (i.e., ummmm.... where the heck IS my spark module anyway?)

Thanks,
{g}

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

Plain and simple the house keep sprayed the switches and the unit keeps sparking  .......Use to do Dacor   .... pretty decent range  ....  Do this unplug the range till tomorrow  ..... before ya plug it in turn every burner of and on real quick  ..... the plug the unit in......   House keeper only wet the switches on a worse case scenario ya order all the switches and do it yourself    just wait a day   okay   and thanks   sometimes 2 days    Good luck and enjoy 

#3 greyhound4334

greyhound4334

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:06 PM

Terminator - I think you're right.

Being the impatient type, while I was waiting for you guys to respond (by the way, you guys are FAST!), I had the cooktop lifted out of the countertop to look for the model # and the spark module. I figured what the heck, I'll go clean the thing with some alcohol. It was a lot gunkier than I thought, and I guess removing the gunk and using the alcohol dried things out. Anyway, it works OK now.

BUT... one good thing about this is I learned something about my problem with the bad ignition on two of the burners. Turns out, no matter which burner I switch on, the SAME TWO igniters keep sparking. So two of the burners don't ever get a spark, and the other two get a spark every time.

Got any advice on what might be the cause of that? Turns out that's been a problem for a long time, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there's some wiring problem or possible short circuit I need to track down. Anyway, hope my explanation makes sense and you have a suggestion.

Thanks.
{g}

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:16 AM

Are you saying two of surface burners never get spark?

#5 greyhound4334

greyhound4334

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:51 AM

Yes, exactly.

Two get spark ALWAYS, regardless of which burner is turned on.

Two NEVER get spark.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

Piece of pie, comrade: replace your spark module.

#7 greyhound4334

greyhound4334

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:45 AM

Ahhh... OK, thanks. Now for the dumb question: on my model (Dacor 4 burner unit, model # SGM3645), where do I locate the spark module? I see the picture in the link you posted, but it must be somewhere inside the cooktop. Can you help me figure out where it is?

Thanks!

#8 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

If memory serves correctly.... I dont have a look up on that ya have to take apart a million screws  Dacor likes to make things with lots of screw   its located uder the top of the range on all the ones I have done so once ya take all the stuff off the top  you see all the screws and under that is fibergalss insulation and then under that is where the module is located.  It should be a sqiarish blue kinda box if memory serves me correctly....

#9 greyhound4334

greyhound4334

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:20 AM

Thanks very much. When I get around to replacing it I will definitely order from your site. You guys have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

{g}

#10 FixitDud(e)

FixitDud(e)

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:53 PM

So I have a Dacor four burner gas cooktop - SGMxxx.  Some of the igniters often spark for a while after the burner starts, and I guess that means they may be damp or dirty.

However, now one out of four of my burners has an igniter which has stopped sparking, and the other three still work.  I just bought two igniters from RepairClinic.com (and also a new female connector for a third electric combo grill, griddle, etc.).  I have not idea how to replace the igniter, but do you think it is most likely the spark module after all?

thanks!

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:32 PM

Does sound more like a spark module. But I'll pull my Dacor stuff and see what I can find out.

Now it's time to hit the hay. zzzzzzzz

#12 FixitDud(e)

FixitDud(e)

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:09 AM

Thanks.  BTW, my full model number is SGM464M.

#13 FixitDud(e)

FixitDud(e)

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:04 AM

Just wondering if there are any more thoughts on this?  With 3/4 burners working, is it still likely the spark module?

I notice there are no screws on top of the cooktop, so it has to be detached from below and lifted up through the slab I think?  With gas and electric hookups, it looks intimidating...

However, I don't even know if I can replace the female electric connector on the third bay without opening things up.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics