Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore oven

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rebecca_lorene

rebecca_lorene

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

The oven at the house I rent does not work properly and I'm having trouble finding much about it online.  When I try to bake things, it does not cook all the way through.  For example, I tried to cook a casserole last night, but only the top and some of the sides got done.  It will not cook foods all the way.  I thought maybe the thermostat needs replaced.  What do you think?  I am also having problems finds a thermostat online.  Also, could you tell me in what area of the oven it would be located in.    The model number of the Kenmore is 278.4028890

THANKS!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:13 AM

Posted Image

Well, ovens aren't my subject, but courtesy of Sears.com...the sensor is item 42, part number 338242 which now subs to GE part number WB20X136. Best price is at the link at the top of the page, just under $100 (at Sears.com, $171.99  :yikes:).

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:43 AM

Do you have the manual for the oven? It's possibe the calibration can be changed with the ERC(Electronic Range Control)

Usually.... If you hold the bake button for several seconds(10?) the stove will show you the calibration setting. Normally you can tune the oven up or down 30 degrees F.

Also, try cooking at a temp above what you wanted. Try 25 degrees. See if things cook better, if not I would go ahead and replace the sensor.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 rebecca_lorene

rebecca_lorene

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the advice.  A family member had suggested that it was TOO hot because it was cooking the outside only.  That didn't make sense to me, but the fact that thin things like frozen pizza burnt if allowed to go the entire time made me think he was right.   But the fact that middles of cakes, casserole, etc don't get done make me think you are right.   If you think that its not getting hot enough, I will try setting the temp higher.  Thanks again

#5 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

You may get an oven thermometer to check against the oven temp setting if you like.
The Seven

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:08 AM

I like the oven thermometer idea, try to get a good quality one. Maybe a place that caters to Chefs and cooks. Your temp may be too high, you need to find out the difference between the temp setting and actual oven temps.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics