Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
rebecca_lorene

kenmore oven

6 posts in this topic

The oven at the house I rent does not work properly and I'm having trouble finding much about it online.  When I try to bake things, it does not cook all the way through.  For example, I tried to cook a casserole last night, but only the top and some of the sides got done.  It will not cook foods all the way.  I thought maybe the thermostat needs replaced.  What do you think?  I am also having problems finds a thermostat online.  Also, could you tell me in what area of the oven it would be located in.    The model number of the Kenmore is 278.4028890

THANKS!!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Leadimage.asp?productTypeID=0124100&brandID=0582&modelDesc=KENMORE%20ELECTRIC%20BUILT-IN%20OVEN&modelNumber=2784028890&documentID=00042975&documentTypeID=PLDM&documentClassCode=PM&titleType=BODY%20SECTION&titleID=00003&

Well, ovens aren't my subject, but courtesy of Sears.com...the sensor is item 42, part number 338242 which now subs to GE part number WB20X136. Best price is at the link at the top of the page, just under $100 (at Sears.com, $171.99  :yikes:).

Do you have the manual for the oven? It's possibe the calibration can be changed with the ERC(Electronic Range Control)

Usually.... If you hold the bake button for several seconds(10?) the stove will show you the calibration setting. Normally you can tune the oven up or down 30 degrees F.

Also, try cooking at a temp above what you wanted. Try 25 degrees. See if things cook better, if not I would go ahead and replace the sensor.

Nick

Thanks for the advice.  A family member had suggested that it was TOO hot because it was cooking the outside only.  That didn't make sense to me, but the fact that thin things like frozen pizza burnt if allowed to go the entire time made me think he was right.   But the fact that middles of cakes, casserole, etc don't get done make me think you are right.   If you think that its not getting hot enough, I will try setting the temp higher.  Thanks again

You may get an oven thermometer to check against the oven temp setting if you like.

I like the oven thermometer idea, try to get a good quality one. Maybe a place that caters to Chefs and cooks. Your temp may be too high, you need to find out the difference between the temp setting and actual oven temps.

Nick