Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Trane XE80 blower noise

Kurt01

I have a Trane XE80, model #TUD080C924H1, serial #K351TLJ1G - I think it might be a 1995.   

The furnace seems to run just fine except for some noise when the blower kicks in.   The noise does stop after a few minutes and although there is still some noise after that, its not the loud noise which seems to say a problem is developing.

I pulled the lower panel off and the blower fins seem to spin quite easily.   They are dirty though as is the whole bottom section.  Not terriably terriably dirty, but dirty yet the same.

I bought the house last year and my guess is that the furnace motor had never been oiled.   From looking in the lower area of the furnace it appears that a panel with a bunch of wires would need to be removed, the blower assembly unbolted thus allowing it to slide out.  

Guess what I don't know is if I'm on the right track or not.   Is the above how I need to get at the blower motor?   And if so, once I get it out, then what?   Does it seem that the noise is most likely fixable via oiling the motor?   What kind of oil?   Can anyone point me towards any drawings, preventative maint tips, etc?

Thank you so much for the help!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobice - very nice writeup.   I have printed it and plan on following it to the 't' over the weekend.   Thank you for the instruction.

Now, if I may be so bold but to ask a couple more questions......

1) I believe the year of my Trane XE80 is a '95.   Since it is a bit old, I'm assuming that it most likely has the oil ports.   Is this a correct assumption?

2) I'm not sure I know what electric motor oil is.   Is that the lubricating spray in the can that you can get at Menards in the electrical section that is meant for electrical contacts, etc.?   I'm guessing its not 3-in-1 household oil nor automative oil.

3) Is there some kind of guide line as to how long a furnace should last?   For example, seems like the rule of thumb for a gas water heater is 10-12 years.   Anything for gas furnaces?

Thanks again for all the help!

Archived