Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

jack detection signal test

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heimhenge

Heimhenge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

There's a front panel audio header on my Intel system, and it seems like whatever signal tells the mobo a mike or headset is connected is not getting through.  When I plug in the headset, the rear-connected speakers do not mute.  When I plug in a mike, I get nothing. 

Everything works fine through the rear panel connectors. The cable connecting the front panel audio header to the mobo has a pinout diagram showing "sense1" and "sense2" conductors that somehow let the mobo know when a mike or headset jack is plugged in.

Question:  How can I test if sense1 and sense2 are working properly?  I would assume they just go to ground when a jack is inserted.  That would help me eliminate the possibility of a software issue.  But when I perform that test, I get no continuity to ground.  Am I testing this correctly?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 callpocket

callpocket

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

You have not posted the model of the board, so I can't really do any research on your problem by looking up your motherboard manual or even googling the problem.

Has this been the problem since day one of using this system, or is it something that worked for a while and now is broken?

My best guess would be for you to examine the connector and wires from these audio ports to the board and look for damage -- like skinned wires or a cracked connector.

Next, make sure the connectors are plugged into the proper headers on the board according to your motherboard manual.

Last, consider going to the manufacturer site of the board and getting a newer bios file and flashing it.

#3 Heimhenge

Heimhenge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

The mobo is an Intel DP35DP.  But as it turns out, the manufacturer now admits the sound card is not compatible with that front panel audio header.  They are sending me a new card (different model) that will supposedly work.  It will arrive tomorrow.  We'll see if that fixes the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics