Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Washing Machine "clicking"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LouisD

LouisD

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

I noticed a recent thread that dealt with a failed coupler keeping the machine from agitating. My washer has begun "clicking" loudly in rythm with the agitation cycle. It's likely also drawing extra power (dimming lights on the same circuit in rythm with the clicking).

The machine appears to still be cleaning the wash properly, but I wonder whether this may not be the early symptoms of a faulty coupler? Or is it more likely to be something else in the chain from motor to tub?

Thanks in advance!

BTW - (since I'm in the neighborhood) is the water level selector/sensor likely to be a reasonably-priced part? Mine broke in the highest setting a few years ago and I never thought to replace it (since we've got four kids and only do large loads anyway)... but if I'm going to be under the hood anyway...:)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

Dimming of the lights sounds more like an electrical problem, like the motor is drawing too many amps, I have never seen the coupler cause this to happen, yet, that is.  You might have a motor going bad or a transmission trying to lock up.  I have seen the belt driven washers do this when the common wire to the control magnet had insulation worn off and was hitting metal when the C/M went back and fourth. But not with a direct drive.  You might have a wire that has rubbed bear and is touching something, or the armature in the motor is hitting the field.  I am suspecting you have a motor going bad, but  would have to pull the motor and run it free from the tranny to see if the problem is still there
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:06 PM

What's happening here is that the motor is not getting poower to the run winding for whatever speed is selected - the srart winding gets it going, no power, drops back to start winding, repeat until motor trips on thermal overload. Check all connections at the motor for tightness, clean and adjust as required. This is a pretty common problem in my experience.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:46 AM

Before ya replace a motor or go nuts   this is pretty easy way to elimate the motor  ... First check the Molex connector to the motor generally its just to wires in a connector    make sure its tight and plugged in....and also check the main harness so that is tight also .....   Next see if the motor will spin on slow and spin on fast    If it does you eliminated the motor because they share the same windings in spin as run ...  After that you are left with 2 items   a speed selector switch or a timer....

Trying to slim it down....  Mad Mac described it perfect whats going on you lost a run winding or power to the run winding....

Also please post a model #   It makes it so much easier to give you advise.... Thanks

#5 LouisD

LouisD

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:03 PM

Ok... everything is working fine now.

The problem is.... I'm not sure what I did. :huh: - And since that probably means I'll be seeing the innards of this thing again... I thought I would follow up.

The story so far:

This is a Kenmore 110-20842 990 (80 series direct drive). Opened it up and the clicking is definitely coming from the vicinity of the motor (seems clear it isn't the transmission). Pulled a few things off and confirmed that the coupler is fine. So I ran the motor a bit without the load - no clicking. Unplugged, cleaned and checked all of the obvious connections and everything seems to be making good contact. No damaged wires either. So I pieced it all back together (without any part left over - which is usually a good sign for me) and ran it some more. Same clicking.

Following up on Appliance Terminator and Mad Mac's tips for determining which windings might be the problem, I put the case back together and put in a load of laundry. The problem occurred throughout the agitation cycle. When it came to the first spin cycle, I varied the speed a few times, both while running and from a dead stop. No problems (no clicking, and each speed worked fine).

Then it reached the second agitation cycle... and NO clicking. I finished the load and did a second... and then a third. The symptoms have disappeared. :shock:

Any ideas? Should I be planning on replacing the motor at some point in the future?

#6 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:11 PM

Honestly cause ya messed with the speed selector I would point at that  .... with this problem I did alot of speed switches if it wasnt a problem with the motor.... Most of the speed selectors I did where in models from 4 - 7 yrs old   and the newer ones I had problems more ith the timers ... If that helps   hope it keeps workin    Good luck

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:37 PM

One other word of advice on this.....don't change the speed without turning the machine off first. This is something that is not explained in the instructions, but doing this will shorten the life of the switch.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 LouisD

LouisD

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

Ya know what? It never occured to me to check the wiring at the other end of circuit. That's "up here" and the noise was "down there".:)  It IS about 5-6 years old, so that fits your experience as well (and listening to Mad Mac, I haven't been doing that switch any favors today).

That's potentially good news. It's certainly  cheaper than replacing the motor. And I've got to back in there anyway to replace the water level selector that's been broken since right after we got it. I'll just watch it for a few loads and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the help! :cheers: I'm sure I'll be bumping into you again in a couple weeks. I just ordered a new Kenmore dishwasher to replace my quirky GE and I'm sure I'll need help with something.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics