Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool D/D - Spins slowly under heavy load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wembley

Wembley

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:57 AM

Well, I replaced the drive block, and the machine still spins "slowly" under a heavy load of clothes - I've de-greased the clutch, do the white pads on the slip ring "wear out" and need to be replaced?

If so, are the pads available separately or is it a kit with the ring, spring and other parts?

-Wembley

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:34 PM

The white pads dont really wear out they can get glazed and so can the clutch lining itself .... Your best best if you do not want to buy another clutch is do the following:

remove washer shell .. revove agitator and bolt ...  pull the motor assembly ...drop the trans assembly

(ya been here before !! ) 

remove the clutch pad inside ...

the pad should be white ... if its discolored sand paper it till its white and then its smooth and white... and if its really smooth take it outside on the concrete and just scrape it up real quick    (lol old whirlpool techs will remember this with the snubber )

Sand the inside of the clutch lining with sandpaper  any kind will do  and then wipe it out with windex  not a degreaser  ... reinstall the clutch pad w/ spring and put everything back together.....

with the tub empty when ya first put the unit in spin if ya hold and and whip it back the other way from the way it normally spins it should grab and then take off into spin... You already did a drive block so ya had the tub pulled so I dont see that anything would be in the tub or something like that ...

Try this is ya dont want to buy a new clutch ... I have never had a weak spring on the clutch... also when the trans is dropped maked sure that ya can spin the bastet drive  ... the white arm above the clutch and make sure that that basket drive is pushed up all the way when ya spin it .....  when ya put the trans clutch assembly back up into the the basketdrive   make sure the arm for the basket drive is on one end   .... I always make it furthest away from me  ..... and the spring for the clutch is  lined up on the other side ( closest to me )  .... after bolting the transmission back in with the three bolts     turn the clutch as you look at it to the left or clockwise and you will then hear a click and you know the clutch and the basketdrive are locked in properly !!!! Strange trick but I live by it    .... then put it in spin and do the trick I told ya by throwing the basket the other way while ya start the unit  .....

After this ya should be doing great  ..... Let us know  

Scott

Applianceterminator

#3 Wembley

Wembley

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:52 PM

I've made sure of the positioniong with the basket drive cam in relation to the spring in the clutch...

I will definitely try roughing up the clutch pads, and windex on the clutch drum. I never thought about using Windex since it has silicone in it (for non-streakeyness) and would lubricate the pads... But, it can't hurt! I tried brake cleaner on it, with limited success...

--Wembley

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:27 AM

I would remove the spin tube(basket drive) and put a light coating of grease on the outer tube.

Part #3953062 is for the original 6 pad clutch, and it's cheaper than the new modle. I like to use the 6 pad clutch, it seems to last longer and spin better.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics