Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Using wireless laptop device on home PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:48 AM

I live in a rural area, and have really crappy dial-up service (19k-21k speeds). is there a way to use a the adapter used on laptops to get internet service everywhere, I assume over the cell network?

If so, what kinds of speeds would you get, and what are the typical costs.

Nick
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 callpocket

callpocket

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Can't testify as to the cost because I haven't use the service myself, but some friends of mine are using a Verison plug in modem of some sort for their wireless laptop and have gotten a lot better speed using that service than the dial up that is available in their area. You might want to check on that service and see if there is a tower in your area.

#3 kochrk

kochrk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

It's an Aircard in short and fits into your pcmcia slot.  You have to get a service like Sprint or Verizon and they can hook you up.  I don't use them but I have a few customers that do.

Here's a link that might help:

http://mobileoffice....s/g/aircard.htm

Rudy

#4 BrianMSheldon

BrianMSheldon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

The mobile broadband adapters are fairly fast, although not as fast as a standard broadband service.  They are just fine for limited internet use, especially when lacking other broadband access options. The biggest problem I see with them is when you exceed your authorized download/upload allotment they really stick it to you on additional costs.

#5 fuggo

fuggo

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:This month: Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

True, you can get reamed if you surpass the d/l limits, but I have an aircard from ATT with a 5gb limit and I dont even come close.

Granted I dont do alot of downloading/streaming video and such, but I use it almost daily.

They now make wireless routers that accept certain pcmcia aircards.  I have the linksys wrt54g3g, and it works pretty well.  You install your aircard into it and use it just like you would a cable/dls router.  it will share your connection with any connected pc.  This frees you to put the router in the spot giving you the best reception to the 3g network.

There's a new bad boy out:
http://www.engadget....ks-am-i-pretty/

Which I believe doesnt even require an aircard, you just slap your sim card in and away you go.  I dont know much more about it than what I've read tho.

The nice thing about the router dealing with the 3g connection is that you no longer have to run the "dialer" software locally.  Also you can have as many machines sharing the connection simultaneously.

Occasionally mine doesnt dial on demand, but a quick trip to the admin page will kick the connection into gear. 

#6 DJGray

DJGray

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

A better (still costly) solution is to purchase internet access through rural satellite dish networks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics