Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
wat704

Whirlpool washer nightmare

5 posts in this topic

I have a whirlpool model #GSX9885JQ0. It has the electronic display. From time to time it fills but will not agitate. I have replaced the motor and control board. This is a problem which pops up evry now and then and has been getting worse recently. If I manually drain the tub and restart the machine sometimes this will let the machine work correctly. I caught it when it stopped and you could hear the motor humming as if it were in a bind then clicked as if the overload kicked in. I can't figure out why this only happens intermitently.

I have also recently replaced the drive coupler. To much money in it to turn back now.

Send the ninjas quick!!!!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check the wiring to the motor, there are known issues with problems in the wiring harness to the motor, could be where the harness plugs onto the motor.  Also check the start capacitor, either mounted on the motor or in the console, the round black plastic thing with 2 wires going to it, if it is going bad the motor will not start. YOu might need to get you a volt stick and see where you are losing your voltage to the motor when it does this humm/click, would have to run it with the case off to do this tho, with the lid switch harness jumped.

The ninjas strike again. I pulled the washer apart and properly troubleshot the wiring harness. There was a loose connection on the bottom red wire going into the motor.

Thanks!!

Quite welcome, glad this was so easy to find....;)

This is a common problem with the whirlpool direct drive washers.  I keep a few old connectors on hand for fixing this problem.  Almost as common as agitator dogs going out :P