LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

2001 Rheem package no blow

8dust

This is great! Thakns in advance for the help. I'm fairly handy, but mostly a parts replacer, and not much of a diagnostican.  Need to know WHICH parts to replace! I have a Rheem package unit, still set in gas heating mode, that won't move air any more. Had the temp up to about 72 and the fan set to on after having cleaned the carpets. Ran all night fine. Came home to no air movement and a bad plastic smell. The wife said it smelled like that "all day", got to love the wife! After letting it sit over night, I turned it back on and went outside. The burner came on and started pumping out steam, but still no air movement inside.  So... once I open up the box out there, screwdriver and electrical meter in hand, what should I test, and in what order, to see if I need to replace the entire blower motor, or a smaller cheaper piece on up the line??? thanks again for your thoughts.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, thanks so much.  That will likely be very helpful to know what part is what.

I may, however, have over emphasized my knowhow. I'm mostly an "unscrew this part, and put something back that looks the same, in the same hole" kinda guy.  Not a lot of technical knowledge.

Any thoughts on possible culprets I should look at up stream from the motor, and how I should test them???

If you could check some voltages at the Motor...

May also be a bad Motor Capacitor ... not easy to test, but give it a good visual.

Motor Capacitor, I like it.  Sounds small and cheap-ish.

How will I know it when I see it?  is it round and can shaped? how big? inside motor housing somewhere?

If I give the fan a hand spin and it keeps going, would that point to capacitor?

near the motor somewhere, maybe round can, maybe silver oval-can...

listen to see if the Motor is humming ...

could try carefully turning it...

It may mean that the Controller is good, and the Motor is bad, but possibly only a bad Capacitor ...

With the power OFF, see if you can turn the Motor.

well now..., got home, took the top off the box, didn't see how to disconnect the feed wires through the top so had to have wife help lift and rotate top just a bit with me, reached in with disconnect off and gave the cage a few turns which seemed a bit stiff on the first one but then nice and smooth, flipped disconnect on and there she went! Had already turned thermostat on after I shut off the power.  

I feel like a heating & air GOD, or demi-God maybe. That was my kind of repair. It's working nice, and i'm inclined to not ask too many questions. Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm ever so glad to have avoided a $75 service call AND a new blower!!! for today at least. 

I've got another unit on the other end of the house with a major personality disorder, but I'll save those for another day.

Heig'

Archived