Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Husband and Wife ready to divorce over whirlpool dryer!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VirtualVE

VirtualVE

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

My Whirlpool Dryer...

Whirlpool Dryer LG8861XWQ0
begins to heat for 15 or so seconds, then shuts off for 40 seconds, then turns back on, etc. etc.  We have replaced the thermostat, coil on the gas valve, and all the heat sensors. The burner is firing up. We have checked the internal lint traps and ducts. At this present diagnostic stage, the dryer is not even hooked up to a vent.

My husband is becoming increasingly frustrated with trying to troubleshoot this problem. Due to an unforseen financial set back we are unable to purchase a new dryer or call a serviceman.

What's really ticking me off is that everytime he "installs" a new part he INSISTS the dryer is now behaving like it "did before". Hmph. As if he's experienced in using it.... Then we have the argument of me justifying it's behavior is not typical and him disputing my claim... It's like us wallpapering together all over again! I'm ready to put both him and the dryer on the curb and revert to simpler ways of life!

OK, seriously, though, I don't want to get stuck using a clothesline for a family of 4 AND a small restaurant!!! Please, any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

Did you replace the radiant sensor   .... its the one on the side  of the burner chamber  it has two wires and is black and silver and is basically rectangle in shape...  The work of a bimetal   a  pice of metal that heats and bends..... if its bad in your scenario..when the heat and I mean the flame goes off the ignitor is starting to glow within the next 5 seconds  ... Its a strange problem and very rare but it happens    .... when you say that you replaced all the " heat sensors "   is that the thermostats ????

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:59 PM

I'LL BUY IT!!!!!!!

Initial rush of blood to the head having subsided, you're running it without the vent connected. Have you checked the airflow from the dryer? What you describe are the classic symptoms of an airflow problem. You've disconnected the dryer and checked/cleaned all internal vents - have you checked the lint chute? Blower wheel?

http://www.partselect.com/Schematics/Whirlpool/UAK00RQ9.gif

Check this out, may help.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 VirtualVE

VirtualVE

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

The two heat sensors in the back were replaced and the thermostat as well as the "radiant" sensor. sigh... :(

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:06 PM

***coil on the gas valve***   One coil or all of them???  Should replace all of them.  But what you are describing would not go back to the coils. If the coils are bad would heat ok for awhile and then the heat would cut out and and not re-light till you turned the dryer off till it cooled down.  Sounds like something is cutting the heat out too soon, or something breaking down under heat rise or electrical breakdown.  Did he replace the safety thermostat and cycling themostat??  Nothing is blocking the airflow either in the dryer or outside of it, like the dryer is too close to the wall??  There is nothing in the heat cone or blower housing blocking the air flow??  If all of this is ok need to get a volt stick and see where in the dryer the elect. circuit is cutting the voltage to the heat circuit when it cuts out.   You could also have a gas  valve going bad.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 VirtualVE

VirtualVE

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:19 PM

HERE ARE SOME TESTING RESULTS:

If you bypass the high temperature fuse sensor in the back of the dryer towards the top (that has two red wires connected to it) the burner will run continously. But if they are connected the burner cycles for 15 seconds every minute (turns on for 15 seconds, turns off for 45 seconds).

The airflow is clear.

Yes, the radiant sensor was replaced. It was the first thing replaced.

Both of the coils were replaced but they were replaced with "used coils" (from a friend's appliance shop, from a working dryer.)

Did he replace the safety thermostat and cycling themostat?

My husband said, "I don't know exactly 'where' those are. There is a sensor that reaches a certain temperature that automatically shuts down the gas valve which was replaced. There is another sensor in the back that was replaced also.

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

All yours guys, I am going home now....:?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

wow  .....   and I mean wow      A complete nightmare on the appliace forum .....     Mad mac  I hear ya with the airflow   is the lint chute clogged  could it be     I think so in a way myself  ... They may have to pull the back off the dryer and clear the lint chute   ... Ive been  Screw@d before on a big ball of lint that rounded out around the blower in the first few years   ....

Check the chute where the filter goes in   ya have to pull the back   make sure thats clear alos  .... Its strange that ya have that Hi limit going like that ..... Its not that its not possible its just rare   ....   Im thinking more airflow after alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Thos eparts were changed ....   also  can you see thru your lint filter in the light       its not clogged by by detergents and fab softners   .... run the dryer w/ filter out  .... I dunno  on this one   to much stuff changed  .... strange  I tell Ya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics