Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune TL FAV9800 Out of Balance

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PWFisher

PWFisher

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

:XMy FAV9800 (serial number 15247321GA) will not get past the spin cycle and I get a 10 - Low RPM unbal code.

After taking out most of the clothes, I was able to finish the cycle.  With no clothes in the machine and putting the machine into Service Mode, I can run and complete both the Service Cycle and the Quick Spin Test without any problems.  The tubs will spin up to 1000 rpm without any problems regarding being unbalanced.

The problem comes when you put clothes into the machine and try and spin them once they are wet.  The machine gets way out of balance and bangs against the sides and shuts down.

I have inspected the board and do not see any burn marks or problems.  The tub turns CCW when shut down and tries to spin CCW without the paddles moving until it gets unbalanced and stops.  Testing the Displacement Sensor shows no unbalanced when between the #1 and #2 positions and gives an unbalanced reading when outside either of these positions.  Sometimes on the #1 position I get struts unbalanced.

I cannot easily get to the clutch/pulley as there is very little clearance between the clutch and the bottom of the machine.  Visual inspection does not indicate any corrosion or grease.

In frustration, we have a service call (at $105) and he found the legs to be all the way down without the lock nuts supporting them.  He screwed down the legs, tighten the lock nuts and set the machine back up.  Running a rinse and spin cycle with a few towels in the machine resulted in completion of the rinse and spin cycle.  Of course after he left and a new load was started, the same problem occurred.

Talking to Maytag only had me do a hard reset (unplug the machine for 30 minutes) with no change in performance and telling me to have one of their authorized service companies come out for service.

Help!  Please.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

How's the Struts ?

FAV9800 Service Manual

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 PWFisher

PWFisher

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Both the front and rear struts seem to be fine.  They are connected and have some play in them when you move or push on the tub.  The front struts have a small amount of rubber wear where they attach to the bottom.  Is there anything that I can chec?

#4 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

the clutch starts to go bad on these causing out of balance loads
To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

#5 PWFisher

PWFisher

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

How can I check the clutch?  As mentioned in my original post, the space is very limited between the clutch/pulley and the bottom of the machine to get to it and work on it.

#6 dh1200s

dh1200s

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

The clutch is hard to get to, what I did was lean the washer back to get a better reach angle and with a small hydraulic jack raise the tub slightly to get a 3/8” socket wrench in there to break loose the clutch pulley bolt. Scratched my hands up a bit in the process but I was able to remove. I found the clutch roller bearings dry with a slight amount of rust. I cleaned up the bearings with WD-40 and have been through 40+ loads since early Dec. It sounds like you verified that the wash basket is rotating CCW in Spin Only cycle and tumblers are not rotating when viewed with the washer top raised. Sounds like you checked out the Tub Displacement sensor per the SM. I was taking dc/UC errors and could not do a load of any size until I removed the clutch and cleaned up the roller bearings in the hub clutch spring was intact. Two other folks on a different forum had success with this maintenance, we had no hard failure of the clutch (broken spring or rusted out bearings). Good Luck

#7 PWFisher

PWFisher

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

Have pulled the clutch and opened it up and sprayed WD-40.  Does the shaft thru the bearings only rote one way?  THh bearings seemed dry and a bit rough.  THe WD-40 smoothed things out.

#8 dh1200s

dh1200s

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

I did this back in mid Dec, and if memory serves me I believe so.  I think what is happening in spin cycle is the motor reverses direction places tension on the spring in the clutch to engage the spinner shaft via a coupler that drives the spinner shaft, I also cleaned that up/lubed that coupler.   I had the clutch pulley spin off when I reinstalled, getting the clutch to seat properly was tricky for me.  Once you clean up the bearings a better lubricant then WD-40 may be called for, maybe a light coat of bearing grease, WD-40 is all I had at the time.  My wife reminded we are way beyond 40+ wash loads since the fix.  I hope you have success.  I would like to understand how this clutch engages the spinner shaft, I don’t want hijack the thread if someone could PM me.   Good Luck… Dick  

#9 PWFisher

PWFisher

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

:D
Thanks Dick.  We have lift-off.  Put the clutch/pulley back on, fought the belt, tightened everything up and ran through the service cycle and quick spin with no problems.  Then ran a spin cycle with damp towels and --- SUCCESS.  I will try a full load and cycle tomorrow after I recheck everything and make sure it is all tight.  I do not have a torque wrench, so I snugged the clutch bolt with a couple of good tugs while I held the belt.  Is the 96 ft lb critical?

#10 dh1200s

dh1200s

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Great News!  Good job!   I would not worry about a Torque wrench…. 98” pounds.   I just snugged it up.  Lets give the long term test next.    Dick

#11 dh1200s

dh1200s

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

Sorry 96" pounds 8 foot pounds, don't over torque.

#12 PWFisher

PWFisher

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

:D

YES!!!!!  We have a complete wash cycle with a full load of towels.

My wife is calling me the Maytag Repair Man and telling me I may have found a new career especially if the economy keeps tanking.

Watching the machine go through a full cycle with the front off and the screen in system mode is quite interesting.  The tub will go out of balance numerous times during a full cycle, but depending on where in the cycle it is it will either ignore the signal or stop spinning and rotate the paddles and try to spin again until it gets up to the proper rpm or goes trough a fixed number of tries and then gives the error code.

I am still waiting to hear from my service guy who charged me $100 about a fix.  Last time I heard from him he said it was a speed control board.  When I pointed out to him that it would spin at 1000 rpm in service mode without any clothes he said he would check again and get back to me.  I am going to ask for my service fee back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics