Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag recalls 1.6M refrigerators

RegUS_PatOff

".. an electrical failure in the (Start) relay (Overload) component that turns on the refrigerator's compressor can cause overheating and pose a serious fire hazard."

Embraco compressor type EGY100, EGZ100 or EGU70

March 10,2009

http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_refrigeration_recall/recall_main.htm

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

isn't that something. And the news reports it as maytag. Should it be said that whirlpool is recalling them? This could have two benifits if reported right. They could say they aquired maytag and found a problem and are actively fixing it. that would show an attempt to make right something that is not their fault. And it would help if the situation arises that whirlpool don't post good numbers that a major part of it was the former maytag's fault.

[user=4439]AppGuy[/user] wrote:

.. Should it be said that whirlpool is recalling them? ....that a major part of it was the former maytag's fault.

But it doesn't seem to affect any Whirlpool (branded) refrigerators.

also... it's an Embraco  (Compressor) defect, not Maytag

""also... it's an Embraco  (Compressor) defect, not Maytag""

Yes, this is all being billed back to Embraco.....as a side note Whirlpool has the major stake in Embraco however...:?

Yes...let the games begin!

As I sat in front of hubby's new flat screen in the early hours of Tuesday, sipping my first cuppa joe :java: and trying to pry my eyelids open...

Imagine my suprise when I heard "Maytag" (mumble-mumble-grumble-something) MILLION refrigerators today..."

And I'm thinking "millions? Did she say MILLIONS?"

Wondering when my immediate superior was planning on breaking the news to my Team (remember...I work in a Whirlpool Call Center, boys and girls).

And sure as God made 'dem little green apples :oops:, there sits the "desk drop" when I drag into work.

Don't get me wrong; I'm glad we're getting this taken care of... What REALLY bites are all of those sad souls out there who AREN'T affected by this recall at all, BUT...BECAUSE THEY WANT A FREE REPAIR, keep calling and insisting their refrigerator "should be under recall", not because it's a safety hazard, but because they just don't feel like paying to have it fixed. 

Yeah, times are tight in this economy, but c'mon, people...

Thank GOD I'm on vacation this week...

Wait till the MT bottom mounts and the Whirlpool friges are recalled also for the same problem, you gonna be busy for a looooooooong time.... wonder if they will be able to make enough kits for those fast enough.... ;)

The Bottom mounts were all built at Amana, Iowa, and (so far) seem to be "Embraco Free"...of course, time will tell...

Imagine my surprise when I was researching some of the old Kitchen Aid refers, only to discover that, long before Whirltag acquired Maypool, they were already "Amana sourced" product...

Oh, and THANKS for the words of ENCOURAGEMENT there, Pegi!!;)

I find it ironic that when I worked for Maytag Factory Service my dispatcher's name was Robin. Just curious if that was you.

Nope, I got passed over for dispatch on a couple of different occassions, ended up working the "Negotiations (2nd Appeal)" desk instead.

Robin H. or Robin K., maybe? They're still hanging on in Knoxville and Cleveland, although they're working different positions now...

My last initial is M. And the female dispatchers we had out of Yakima were Mariah, Kim, and 'Frankie' (who is currently serving in Iraq...we expect her back soon!)

Embraco is owned by "Whirlpool" since the mid seventies. They bought that to counter Amana buying "Aspera".

This is when Amana was part of "Raytheon" and RCA was servicing "Whirlpool".

I worked for both of them during this period, and Dan S. (may he rest in peace) was the Managing force of "Kitchen Aid" until the "Whirlpool" take over and Bill T. stabbed him in the back.

Dan wound up working for "Sub Zero" and I wound up with "Carrier Building Services".

Matthew 1:12, "Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren..."

Everybody getting chawed up by someone else, forever and anon...

Archived