LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Furnace: low voltage at the gas valve? RUUD UGDE-06ELAES

dshanks

I have a RUUD UGDE-06ELAES "Deluxe High Efficiency" furnace that suddenly stopped working while we slept last night.  It was installed in 1991 or 1992.

In my attempt to diagnose the problem, I've discovered that the gas valve gets 17-19VAC instead of 24VAC when the relay closes at the end of the ignitor cycle. 

Here's what I'm seeing:

1. Set thermostat high enough to call for heat
  2. Blower goes on
  3. 30 seconds or so after blower on, ignitor lights up
  4. 20 seconds or so after ignitor lights, I hear a click and see approximately 17-19 VAC across the gas valve relay.
  5. 5 seconds or so after I see voltage at the gas valve, the ignitor goes off and the voltage at the gas valve drops to zero.

I also measured the voltage across Valve and Common on the Robertshaw Model HS780 34PL-398A control board.  Surprisingly, the control board is putting out 17-19VAC.  Not 24VAC.  Not 0VAC. So my question is, what does this mean?  What could cause the control board to put out low voltage?

I should probably also mention that this furnace was repaired three or four years ago.  At that time, a repairman replaced the ignitor and I think he may have replaced the Robertshaw control board too.  But I'm not sure the control board was replaced.  It just looks "newer" than the rest of the parts in the furnace.

I checked the output voltage at the transformer, and it's 26.9 VAC.  The input voltage to the Robertshaw control board, measured across TH & COM is also 26.9VAC.  But the output to the gas valve is 17-19VAC.  This suggests to me that there's something wrong with one of the circuit boards.

How do I tell which of the circuit boards needs to be replaced?

Edit - Conclusion: I decided to gamble that replacing the Robertshaw board would solve the problem.  After all, 26.9V in and 17-19V out probably means something's wrong, right? 

Anyway, I replaced the board and the furnace works again.  I couldn't have done it without the information I found in this forum.  Thanks, Samurai Appliance Repair Man!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check all your connections for corrosion and make sure they are tight. Clean the sensor and retry

Archived