Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How do I dissassemble a GE washing machine

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:44 PM

The washing machine is leaking somewhere inside.  How do I remove the panels to see where the leak is (it only leaks once I start the fill cycle).  I read the info on what it could be and have not ruled any out.  What panels do I have to remove to see the possible problem areas, and how do I remove those panels?  I would greatly appreciate your wisdom in this expertise.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,053 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:12 AM

[user=250]Guillotine4me[/user] wrote:

How do I remove the panels

Behold:

Posted Image

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:21 AM

This, of course, assumes that you have the newer style (post about 1995) GE. Does yours look broadly like the picture?
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

Mine looks exactly like the picture.  Do I use a screwdriver or puttyknife to disengage the clips on the front panel, or do I just pull real hard?:?

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

Putty knife is better, even one of the plastic ones should work.

#6 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

:DThanks!!:D  But bad news, the outer plastic tub is cracked!!!  What do I need to replace it.  What is the easiest and best way to take it out.  Do I need to remove the agitator?  Will I need any other parts beside the Tub?:shock:

Thanks,

GFM

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:11 PM

Oh dear....this is going to be nasty. Can you post a model number so we can get an idea of parts pricing. There may be a parts-only warranty on the tub, depending on the age of your washer (Jedi?).

#8 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

Model # WPSR3100W2WW

Bought in '99

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

You'll definitely need this

and this

Might need one of these and this too.

I almost forgot, You'll need this too

Then there is the special wrench for about $20.00

If you're up to it I'll walk you thru it step by step. You might consider buying a NEW machine at this point.

#10 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:57 PM

Well, at the very least you're looking at the tub and seal - tub $93 at RepairClinic.com ($50 more at Sears!), Seal $11 ($5 less at Sears!). I know, I can't figure it out either....

Posted Image

I have changed many of these transmissions out - has yours been done yet?

#11 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

I am up to it.  I will trust in your wisdom to guide me through this most difficult procedure.  What tool is it that I might need? Can you give a link.  No the Tranny has not been changed yet.

Thanks,

GFM

#12 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:21 PM

Here's the wrench.

I'll try to convince you one more time to get a new two speed whirlpool washer.

If you really want to fix it order your parts and let us know. 

Take a look at this thread.  I can post more pictures and instructions on transmission replacement there.  Replacing the outer tub is almost the same job.

#13 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:12 PM

I recieved this washer (and matching dryer) for free because I enjoy tinkering with things broken (this way I don't destroy something that works).  Anyway I will be giving it to a struggling family who needs it when I am finished (if it works). I will be ordering the parts for it tomorrow and should recieve them in a couple of days.  I look forward to your posts.:cool:

At least I will know how to replace the tranny when it goes out.:D

Thanks for your help,

G4M

#14 Russ Man

Russ Man

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:27 AM

[user=250]Guillotine4me[/user] wrote:

I recieved this washer (and matching dryer) for free because I enjoy tinkering with things broken (this way I don't destroy something that works).  Anyway I will be giving it to a struggling family who needs it when I am finished (if it works). I will be ordering the parts for it tomorrow and should recieve them in a couple of days.  I look forward to your posts.:cool:

At least I will know how to replace the tranny when it goes out.:D

Thanks for your help,

G4M

did you check with GE to see if the part was covered by warranty?  If you have the owner's manual it should have all the warranty info.   You might find some warranty info on the GE web site.    http://www.geappliances.com

since it is 6 yrs old, there may be a lot of corrosion around the large hub nut, making if very difficult to remove.  Make sure you remove it correctly because it is left hand thread.....if you apply some penentrant around the nut, it might help loosen it.  And be careful when you remove the split ring or it can break.  You should be able to tap it up from the bottom with a hammer, alternating striking from each side....

and don't forget to reinstall the flat washer under the split ring during reassembly.:)

#15 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:37 AM

I checked on the warranty (thanks for the website), but it does not cover this problem.  It is evident that the washer was dropped on its side because the damage is due to an impact to the plastic box on the outside of the tub (line runs to the water level pressure switch) and the box in pushed slightly into the tub.  The warranty only covers damage due to defects and not accidents or abuse.:(

I will be watching the thread provided by "Jedi" for the steps to fix it, and the parts are on order.:D

:DThanks for the tips, so far you folks have been an invaluable source of information, and I hope my donation to the beer fund  keeps you well stocked and happy for a long time.:D
:gulp:
Thanks,

G4M

#16 The Wizard Of Odds!

The Wizard Of Odds!

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:48 AM

what about that special epoxy like strip, called slap strip

made for the old metal tub GE washers

Or my old buddy J B WELD ?

#17 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

As I was trying to remove the transmission from the Outer tub I had turned the unit over and rested it on the top of the tub.  It sat there for about 3 min. and then I turned it back over and pulled the tub off the transmission.  I noticed that about a tablespoon of oil had leaked out while it was upside-down.  Should I worry about this?  If so can I just add some oil (How do I do that)?

Thanks,

Derrick

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,053 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

A tablespoon of oil won't make a difference. This transmission will die from normal usage long before it feels any theoretical effects from being short one tablespoon of oil.

#19 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:03 PM

:notworthy:  Thanks, I was worried there for a minute.

#20 Guillotine4me

Guillotine4me

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

:party:[glow=blue]THANKS TO YOUR HELP I SUCCESSFULLY REPAIRED THE WASHING MACHINE!!!!!!![/glow]:notworthy:

On my next payday I will send you all enough for you beer fund that you can party all weekend and still have enough to sustain you throughout the week!!!!

Thanks alot guys,

Derrick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics