Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ice maker overflows water when refilling

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skbarton13

skbarton13

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:12 PM

Greetings all, and thanks for your consideration:

My ice maker is making ice, both cubes and (unfortunately) a large freezing pond in the bottom of the ice bucket or bin.  And there is the problem.

When the ice maker refills, the water overflows the cube reservoirs and dribbles into the ice bin, and even out through the dispensing hole.  Maybe half a cup extra every time.  This problem did not develop incrementally, but just happened.  It still makes cubes, though they are now all connected together when they plop out, as the water goes all the way up.  But you can't dispense them, because the dispenser agitator is frozen to the bottom of the bin.

The manual has nothing on a water adjustment.  And I can't find anything on this internet thing to help with the problem.  I need Samurai help!

Is there a way to adjust water flow?  How could it suddenly go wrong, after years of faithful service? (well, that question is not so important)  My parents were just visiting for a week and told us they would pay for the ice maker to be fixed as an anniversary present (note to self: less than three weeks to Aug 22d,  think of something!).  They like ice, and sometimes we forget to refill the dispenser with the $1.09 Kroger bag of cubes.

Any repair advice or repair-man advice (I live in Atlanta) would be greatly appreciated.

Yours, Steve Barton

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:22 PM

Remove the cover from the ice maker and see if there is a small gear on the left and a large on in the center with an adjustment in the top right corner of the ice maker facing that has a + and - for water time adjustment.  If you have one large gear that says "do not turn Manually" there is a tiny plastic adjustment on the right side of the head, turning clockwise would turn down the fill time.  You could also have a fill valve that is not shutting closed all of the way fast enough, letting too much water enter in the 8 seconds it is supposed to be open.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 skbarton13

skbarton13

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:36 PM

Thanks!   Before I look for that adjustment (and break the cover, with my skills), I am thinking that your second possibility is the likely one.  Given that nobody messed with the adjustments before, do you think the fill valve is a more likely culprit?  (before I found you, honorable samurai, I saw an HGTV website with intructions on replacing fill valve).  Anyway, we have a regular amount of grit come through the water lines around here.  Not too much, but it accumulates in the spigot screens over time.  Whaddayathink?

Thanks, Steve Barton

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:03 AM

I would suspect the fill valve also from what you describe.  Access the valve at the rear of the frig., make you a test cord to plug onto the ice maker terminals, remove the fill line at the back of the box and put this into a bucket or something and plug the cord in to your wall outlet several times, starting and stopping the valve from giving water and see what it is doing.  If water still comes out when you unplug this test cord, well you know where to get one, here from this site.  :)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics