Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Another Kenmore won't spin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 whitrock1

whitrock1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:21 AM

I have a direct drive kenmore. It will agitate, rinse... do everything, but will not spin. I took the transmission out and found the brake cam lever small tab broken. I replaced it along with the clutch assy. same problem. I can hear the motor running during the spin cycle. The drum will turn by hand but is very stiff, but i don't have anything to compare it to. I am not getting any strange noises. I just hear the motor running. Could this be a transmission problem??:D Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

Sounds like a tranny problem which has a 5 year warranty, how old is this unit.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

You can test the machine with the cabinet off, just make something to jumper the lid switch. Then run the machine and see if the clutch bell is spinning in the spin cycle.

If this was mine i would do the following...

1)Remove the spin basket and check for any foriegn objects

2)Inspect the drive block for wear. The top sould fit over the two raised spots on the spin tube.

3)Remove the transmission, and inspect the clutch pads

4)Remove the Spin tube(basketdrive) 

5)Put a thin coat of grease or turbine oil on the spin tube.

6)Replace the clutch, or sand the pads and clean the inside of the bell

7)Put it back together and try it 

If it still don't spin, then you know you need a gearcase

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 whitrock1

whitrock1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:28 PM

It's at least 10 yrs old. I am going to run it tomorrow without the cabinet & watch the clutch. No spin . Then it's the tranny??

#5 whitrock1

whitrock1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

I checked the clutch bell and it started to spin then stopped. Motor was still running. This is a trans. problem. Right?? If so can you rebuild the tranny or just replace it?

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:16 PM

I've never rebuilt one. I have used rebuilt gearcases, And they usually make a lot of noise, and fail real quick. I only use new gearcases now, I hate doing things twice.

Check or hosts price on a gearcase.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 rmangat

rmangat

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

I would check to make sure to see if the drive block is not cracked. I have replaced the block that the drum sits on a few times.

#8 whitrock1

whitrock1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the trouble shooting. The tranny fixed the no spin problem. But now I have a bad vibration. I checked it and it is level. Could it be the white slide plate? I can't really tell if it is out of line or not.

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:21 AM

Yes, this could be out of place, pull the case and make sure the 3 white tabs on the triangle plate are inside of the 3 brown tabs on the base.  Also one or more of the brown tabs could have gotten damaged. Carefully lift the corners of the plate to check on the brown tabs.  Also check to see if the lock nut is tight if you pulled the spin basket and the basket is wobbling, altho this would not have had to been removed just to replace the tranny. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics