Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

tcolonna

Fridgedaire freezer door won't stay shut

3 posts in this topic

I just bought a house with a fridgedaire refrigerator and freezer.  The top door (freezer)'s magnet does not seem to hold the door well.  If I open the fridge door and close it sharply, it blows the other door open.  This is tough because I have left the freezer open may nights becasue of this.  Can I replace teh door holding mechanism?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

This will be tough.  Depends on the age of the box.  If it is newer if you do not close the food door softly, if you slam the food door the freezer door will pop open.  You cannot slam the door.  And be sure the box has a backwards tilt, the front needs to be 1-2 inches higher that the rear so the doors can close by them selves from a 45 degree angle ...Raise the front of the frig till the doors start closing by them selves when held at a 45 degree angle so if the freezer door pops open it will slowly close by itself and solve this problem.  Also see if the gasket on the hinge side is binding.  If so put a very thin coating of vasoline on the frig cabinet where the gasket slides to help the door close easier.

Raising the front of the fridge, as Pegi suggests, should help. If not, then you might consider adding a hardware hasp to the door to latch it shut.