Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool frontload washer trouble

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 maverick

maverick

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:01 PM

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer and the band clamp that holds the sealing band fell off.  I removed the bottom of the washer and the two screws at the bottom but there is two located at the top behind the control panel but I cant figure out how to get it off so I can remove the front to reinstall the clamp.  If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

Do not take the front off!

I'm assuming you want to install the clamp that holds the boot to the front of the tub.

Remove the spring/wire clamp that hold the boot to the front panel, and  gently pull the boot free from the front panel. Push the boot in to the tub opening to give you some room. Now fix your clamp problem, and put it back together. Do not over tighten the clamp, it breaks easily..

You can replace the boot on these without taking any panels off. 10-15 minutes once you get good at it.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 nrk99

nrk99

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:48 PM

I, a not especially handy guy, have been able to remove the old torn bellow and replace it, including the band brace that holds it to the tub. However, for the last hour, I have been unable to replace the last part, that being the spring wire around the outer portion of the bellow. I have tried everything short of stretching the spring to a new fixed position. I've torn up my fingers in the doing, but now have an incomplete project waiting. Any thoughts?

Neil

#4 shane

shane

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

Hi, this sugestion sounds crude but i use the end of my bent needle nose pliers, i position clamp and spring in groove around door boot as much as it will go on then i place tip of needle nose into the small hook area of wire clamp this gives some leverage to exspand the spring to get the rest of the wire clamp positioned into rubber groove. It takes a bit of muscle it may take a couple or so tries. I supose some small vise grips used in the same manor may work to.

#5 nrk99

nrk99

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:47 AM

Thanks for the tip. I had actually tried that unsuccessfully. What ultimately helped was my tough-as-nails wife providing leverage at portions fixed in place. Whew!

Now I just have to figure out how to keep all that mildew from growing inside the belt...

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:22 AM

Now I just have to figure out how to keep all that mildew from growing inside the belt

1) use only HE type detergent.

2) run the machine empty on hot wash with bleach and Cascade dishwasher detergent.

3) leave the door open when not in use.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:58 PM

Nick thats exactly what I tell em   ....   and I mean exact     lol

#8 Greg

Greg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:45 AM

Nick,  I have only had my Duet for a few days now.   Should I run the bleach and Cascade dishwasher detergent through only when there is a problem or should it be done regularly?  If regularly, is there a suggested schedule and how much detergent do I use?  I know this may sound silly, but is it better to use the liquid dishwater detergent?Greg

#9 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:23 AM

Greg,

If you use HE detergent, and only HE detergent, I would do the clean routine once every 2 months. If you have pets or use liquid fabric softener, you may want to do it more often. I use 2 cups cascade and 2 cups bleach.

I would  always leave the door open. Also, I would use dryer sheets, liquid softener will leave deposits inside the machine.

Nick 

#10 Greg

Greg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:32 AM

Nick,  Thanks for the reply.   I guess I should use liquid Cascade and add it and the bleach directly to the drum?  The dispenser is puny on these machines.Greg

#11 nrk99

nrk99

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

Wow! I was away for the past week and am just catching up. Thanks for the amazing info re: mildew. I will do as follows, though can you save me a minute and tell me what "HE detergent" is?

Neil

#12 Greg

Greg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:14 PM

Neil,  HE stands for High Efficiency detergent.  Interestingly enough, a similar size bottle of regular detergent gives 32 loads while the HE only gives 26.  It prevents excess sudsing which I guess they do by eliminating some of the soap.  I guess I am a little cynical but I do love the washer and dryer with all of its energy savings and efficiency.Greg

#13 nrk99

nrk99

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Greg. Any brands in particular? I generally just pick up liquid Tide at Costco.

#14 Greg

Greg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:30 PM

Neil, We picked up Tide Free HE at the local grocery store.  I hadn't thought about the box stores!Greg

#15 nrk99

nrk99

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:56 PM

Thanks! I'll check it out and post this exchange in our washroom...

Neil

#16 SFC

SFC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

I know this is late to the game but I have found that KY Jelly works magic when I am having some friction problems. I've even used it to get a slightly too small intake manifold boot onto a carb. I just used it tonight to slip a pool light gasket past a stubborn mount.

#17 bigger hammer

bigger hammer

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:12 PM

im not sure if theres any solid evidence to back it up ....but dealing with many odour issues with kenmore F/L (made by Frigidaire) i came accross a bulletin listing several things the user can do that was sent out by frigidaire

as stated from the other replies... leaving door open, running the unit with bleach and dishwasger detergent, HE soaps....... the one that really sticks out is the last one that said about liquid soaps.

they claim that some liquid soaps use animal products as thickening agents or builder and the residue promotes bacterial growth and therefore bad odours.  like i said in the beginning i dont know if they can back up that claim but i havent heard any other manufacturer advising against liquid soaps

Before you start.....how much is it going to cost and how long is it going to take?

#18 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:02 AM

Yes, I have also read liquid soap will cause mold problems, use powder HE and less is better...;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#19 Greg

Greg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

Who sells powdered HE detergent? I haven't seen any in Virginia.

Greg

#20 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:56 PM

Well, we really do not know who sells what in your town, state...I get the Tide powder HE at Wal-mart here....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics