Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
maverick

Whirlpool frontload washer trouble

21 posts in this topic

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer and the band clamp that holds the sealing band fell off.  I removed the bottom of the washer and the two screws at the bottom but there is two located at the top behind the control panel but I cant figure out how to get it off so I can remove the front to reinstall the clamp.  If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Do not take the front off!

I'm assuming you want to install the clamp that holds the boot to the front of the tub.

Remove the spring/wire clamp that hold the boot to the front panel, and  gently pull the boot free from the front panel. Push the boot in to the tub opening to give you some room. Now fix your clamp problem, and put it back together. Do not over tighten the clamp, it breaks easily..

You can replace the boot on these without taking any panels off. 10-15 minutes once you get good at it.

Nick

I, a not especially handy guy, have been able to remove the old torn bellow and replace it, including the band brace that holds it to the tub. However, for the last hour, I have been unable to replace the last part, that being the spring wire around the outer portion of the bellow. I have tried everything short of stretching the spring to a new fixed position. I've torn up my fingers in the doing, but now have an incomplete project waiting. Any thoughts?

Neil

Hi, this sugestion sounds crude but i use the end of my bent needle nose pliers, i position clamp and spring in groove around door boot as much as it will go on then i place tip of needle nose into the small hook area of wire clamp this gives some leverage to exspand the spring to get the rest of the wire clamp positioned into rubber groove. It takes a bit of muscle it may take a couple or so tries. I supose some small vise grips used in the same manor may work to.

Thanks for the tip. I had actually tried that unsuccessfully. What ultimately helped was my tough-as-nails wife providing leverage at portions fixed in place. Whew!

Now I just have to figure out how to keep all that mildew from growing inside the belt...

Now I just have to figure out how to keep all that mildew from growing inside the belt

1) use only HE type detergent.

2) run the machine empty on hot wash with bleach and Cascade dishwasher detergent.

3) leave the door open when not in use.

Nick thats exactly what I tell em   ....   and I mean exact     lol

Nick,  I have only had my Duet for a few days now.   Should I run the bleach and Cascade dishwasher detergent through only when there is a problem or should it be done regularly?  If regularly, is there a suggested schedule and how much detergent do I use?  I know this may sound silly, but is it better to use the liquid dishwater detergent?Greg

Greg,

If you use HE detergent, and only HE detergent, I would do the clean routine once every 2 months. If you have pets or use liquid fabric softener, you may want to do it more often. I use 2 cups cascade and 2 cups bleach.

I would  always leave the door open. Also, I would use dryer sheets, liquid softener will leave deposits inside the machine.

Nick 

Nick,  Thanks for the reply.   I guess I should use liquid Cascade and add it and the bleach directly to the drum?  The dispenser is puny on these machines.Greg

Wow! I was away for the past week and am just catching up. Thanks for the amazing info re: mildew. I will do as follows, though can you save me a minute and tell me what "HE detergent" is?

Neil

Neil,  HE stands for High Efficiency detergent.  Interestingly enough, a similar size bottle of regular detergent gives 32 loads while the HE only gives 26.  It prevents excess sudsing which I guess they do by eliminating some of the soap.  I guess I am a little cynical but I do love the washer and dryer with all of its energy savings and efficiency.Greg

Thanks Greg. Any brands in particular? I generally just pick up liquid Tide at Costco.

Neil, We picked up Tide Free HE at the local grocery store.  I hadn't thought about the box stores!Greg

Thanks! I'll check it out and post this exchange in our washroom...

Neil

I know this is late to the game but I have found that KY Jelly works magic when I am having some friction problems. I've even used it to get a slightly too small intake manifold boot onto a carb. I just used it tonight to slip a pool light gasket past a stubborn mount.

im not sure if theres any solid evidence to back it up ....but dealing with many odour issues with kenmore F/L (made by Frigidaire) i came accross a bulletin listing several things the user can do that was sent out by frigidaire

as stated from the other replies... leaving door open, running the unit with bleach and dishwasger detergent, HE soaps....... the one that really sticks out is the last one that said about liquid soaps.

they claim that some liquid soaps use animal products as thickening agents or builder and the residue promotes bacterial growth and therefore bad odours.  like i said in the beginning i dont know if they can back up that claim but i havent heard any other manufacturer advising against liquid soaps

Yes, I have also read liquid soap will cause mold problems, use powder HE and less is better...;)

Who sells powdered HE detergent? I haven't seen any in Virginia.

Greg

Well, we really do not know who sells what in your town, state...I get the Tide powder HE at Wal-mart here....

Okay, I'll check Wal Mart. All of the regular grocery stores and commissaries only sell liquid HE.

Greg