Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Faulty dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bluey 1

Bluey 1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:43 PM

G'day All,

I have a problem with my dishwasher, it is a Dishlex, and Australian machine, however, as most appliances are basically the same someone may be able to help me out.

The problem is the machine overfills during the second wash cycle.

I have found a rubber non-return flap on the inlet side of the pump-out motor (this mahcine has two motors, one for washing and one for pumping out) The rubber flap has perished and I assume it now allows water to flow back into the machine from the outlet hose.

Being this item is faulty, would the added water it allows to come back into the machine add to the water already in it and allow the level to increase enough to give an overfull situation? or perhaps cause the fill level sensor to work incorrectly?

Both pumps work OK  fill level sensor OK  Inlet water solenoid OK .

Basically, Everything else on the machine seems OK just this flap is crook.

Hoping someone may have experienced something similar over the years.

Thanks,

Bluey

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:26 AM

[user=248]Bluey 1[/user] wrote:

I have found a rubber non-return flap on the inlet side of the pump-out motor (this mahcine has two motors, one for washing and one for pumping out) The rubber flap has perished and I assume it now allows water to flow back into the machine from the outlet hose.

Being this item is faulty, would the added water it allows to come back into the machine add to the water already in it and allow the level to increase enough to give an overfull situation? or perhaps cause the fill level sensor to work incorrectly?

That's certainly reasonable, especially in certain drain hose configurations such as with riser loops.  In any event, systematic troubleshooting protocol requires that you repair obvious problems first.  It may be masking an underlying problem, but we won't know that until we repair the obvious.  So, in this manner, we peel away at it until we get to the heart of the problem.

#3 Bluey 1

Bluey 1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:53 PM

OK.  Have replaced the non-return valve, looks good but did not cure the problem:X

Here is the latest. Machine will run through its pre-wash cycle no problem.

When it commences the wash cycle everything appears to go OK however, it continues to fill, albeit slowly, after it has reached the required water level.

I guess this leaves me with two possibilities. Firstly, could it be that the water level switch is faulty? I have checked it and it appears to be OK ie electrically OK and the hoses that connect it up are all in good condition no perishing etc.

Secondly, is it possible that the solenoid has become weak? I should point out that it does not appear to be letting water in after it shuts off in pre-wash only in the wash cycle. Guess the same applies to the switch as the machine does not overfill on the pre-wash.

The dishwasher is only 5 years old and in really good nick, otherwise I would just hook it in the bin, but it seems a shame to get rid of it for a silly problem.

Thanks for anyones input,

Cheers,

Bluey

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:36 PM

OK.  Have replaced the non-return valve, looks good but did not cure the problem:X

:fart:

Secondly, is it possible that the solenoid has become weak? I should point out that it does not appear to be letting water in after it shuts off in pre-wash only in the wash cycle. Guess the same applies to the switch as the machine does not overfill on the pre-wash.

Use your meter to see if the water inlet solenoid is still getting voltage when the water is dribbling in.  This will help isolate the problem as being either a mechanical problem with the solenoid or a control problem elsewhere in the circuit.

Also, post your wiring diagram so we're not stabbing in the dark here.  :knifehead:

#5 Bluey 1

Bluey 1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:25 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Use your meter to see if the water inlet solenoid is still getting voltage when the water is dribbling in.  This will help isolate the problem as being either a mechanical problem with the solenoid or a control problem elsewhere in the circuit.

Also, post your wiring diagram so we're not stabbing in the dark here.  :knifehead:

OK  found the problem:banana:

On the circuit board there is a relay that brings in the solenoid. Close inspection showed that the contacts inside had been hot and it was intermittently welding shut assume in pre-wash it fills and lets go no prob. on Wash cycle it fills a bit waits fills more etc. Must have been sticking on the second fill (contacts still hot).

Found that thanks to your advice of meter on solenoid (why didn't I think of that???)

Long story short, a bit of work on the contact with micro-scrub and its going for the time being.  Guess I will have to get out the soldering iron and replace it soon though:X.

Wiring diagram???  we don't get them here on the machines unfortunately must be a big secret, just gotta nut it out for ourselves!

Thanks for your help Samurai, very decent of you, perhaps we can have a drink when I am over there this fall!

Cheers,

Bluey

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:41 AM

Nice work on the repair! 

perhaps we can have a drink when I am over there this fall!

Coming out to the Lake Sunapee area of New Hampster?  If so, definitely lemme know.  We have a great little brewpub here in town where you can quaff fresh suds while munching free-range buffalo burgers.  MMmmm! :pint:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics