Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Interesting news story!!!!! Sulfur gas from drywall

Budget Appliance Repair

I saw this news story and remembered a topic that was discussed awhile back about refrigerator copper tubing rotting out from sulfur in the water from wells, (I believe something one of the manufactures told someone to get out of warranty repair on a sealed system).  Sounded like total BS to me but maybe there is some truth to it, but not all coming from the water supply?

Chinese-made drywall ruining homes, owners say:

"Gas emitted from defective drywall corrodes copper wiring, turning it black, some Florida homeowners say."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/18/chinese.drywall/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drywall or sheet rock or other brand names is made from gypsum or calcium sulfate (CaSO4) be it made in the US, Canada, China, etc.   I wonder if they are using added fillers such as coal ash from power plants and desulfurization that contain calcium sulfide (CaS) and or calcium sulfite (CaSO3)?  Of cousre it could be it is just naturally mined that way.

• Team Samurai

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

I saw this news story and remembered a topic that was discussed awhile back about refrigerator copper tubing rotting out from sulfur in the water from wells, (I believe something one of the manufactures told someone to get out of warranty repair on a sealed system).  Sounded like total BS to me but maybe there is some truth to it, but not all coming from the water supply?

That is a very astute connection of effects from seemingly different causes, Willie B! You got me scratching my head, too. :headscratch:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just sat here and spend about 15 min typing up a quasi explanation of this when my browser crashed. (Anyone else have problems since the last firefox update?) Basically a chemical engineer told me the main ingredient of sheetrock is a by product of something they make all the time but could never bond it together. Then some genius figured out how to bond it with sulfur somethingorother to make sheetrock. The sulfur somethingorother is let out into the house corroding the wiring and whatnot. Sounds like some pretty bad stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen the effects of "sulphur water" on sealed system parts- there was a fridge that haunted many of the techs here as it required numerous sealed system repairs over a period of 10 or so years (service contract), The copper would turn black and become comprimised and leak.

The water in the house was from a well which contained H2S and it generally raised havoc with many of their items.

I'd be moving, personally.

Oddly enough, I usually get the blame for the odors that occur in my house, and all along I've said it's the water!

Archived