Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer Works Sporadically...suspect motor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mjeep01

mjeep01

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:57 AM

Kenmore. 110.96590140.
Hi, my dryer was working great until recently. I noticed a strange buzz and then the dryer stopped working. I cleaned the lint tray and removed most of the clothes from the dryer. It worked for about 5 min. & then shut off. The timer was still on and after about 5 min., the dryer kicked on again automatically.
Eventually, the dryer stopped working. I was able to get to the motor. I removed all lint inside the cabinet, around the motor, etc... I also removed the belt from the Idler Bracket. I then simulated tension on the Idler Bracket the belt would do by raising the Idler Bracket to flip the switch and the motor started. After about 10 seconds, I released the Idler Bracket and the motor stopped. Again, I simulated tension the belt would have on the Idler Bracket but this time the motor froze. I heard the motor humming like it wanted to turn but couldn't. It's as if something was jammed in the motor. After a few repeated incidents of attempting to get turn the motor over, the motor didn't even hum, just silence.
After waiting a bit, I could repeat the entire cycle again (motor runs, motor locks, motor silence). Does this sound like a motor problem to you? There is a pluggable motor switch that I suspect could also be the problem but I really think it's the motor. Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:22 AM

Diffinitely sounds like bad motor bearings freezing up after running and heating motor up from to much drag in bearings.

Get your new motor: CLICK HERE

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics