Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
mjeep01

Dryer Works Sporadically...suspect motor

2 posts in this topic

Kenmore. 110.96590140.

Hi, my dryer was working great until recently. I noticed a strange buzz and then the dryer stopped working. I cleaned the lint tray and removed most of the clothes from the dryer. It worked for about 5 min. & then shut off. The timer was still on and after about 5 min., the dryer kicked on again automatically.

Eventually, the dryer stopped working. I was able to get to the motor. I removed all lint inside the cabinet, around the motor, etc... I also removed the belt from the Idler Bracket. I then simulated tension on the Idler Bracket the belt would do by raising the Idler Bracket to flip the switch and the motor started. After about 10 seconds, I released the Idler Bracket and the motor stopped. Again, I simulated tension the belt would have on the Idler Bracket but this time the motor froze. I heard the motor humming like it wanted to turn but couldn't. It's as if something was jammed in the motor. After a few repeated incidents of attempting to get turn the motor over, the motor didn't even hum, just silence.

After waiting a bit, I could repeat the entire cycle again (motor runs, motor locks, motor silence). Does this sound like a motor problem to you? There is a pluggable motor switch that I suspect could also be the problem but I really think it's the motor. Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Diffinitely sounds like bad motor bearings freezing up after running and heating motor up from to much drag in bearings.

Get your new motor: CLICK HERE

William Burk (Willie)

Willie's Budget Appliance Repair

Eureka, CA 95501