Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Fridge Intermitently Stops Cooling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bgaidan

bgaidan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

The model number seems to be worn off the sticker inside so I'm not sure what I'll do about tracking down parts...

Occassionally I'll come home and hear this Fridge make a somewhat loud click on and then about 15 seconds later a click off.   When I hear this I know it's the fridge gods telling me that I'll soon have warm food.   Usually a good jolt to the fridge will make it start working properly again until the next time it does it....which can be anywhere from a day to a couple weeks.

Obviously something inside (a switch of some sort?) is getting stuck and giving the fridge a little jolt releases it.  The clicking noise appears to be coming from the compressor area in the rear of the fridge.  I also noticed that the refrigerant lines are fairly hot when this is happening.

Readig through this forum it leads me to believe that the defrost timer may be bad.  How do I test for this?  Where is the durn thing in the first place?  Or am I completely off base with this assumption? 

Also, is there a good way to determine the model number of the fridge if I can't read the orriginal nameplate?

Does this post make me look fat?

Nachos gracias!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:42 PM

Sounds like the compressor is overheating and cutting out on the overload.  Clean the condensor coils and make sure the condensor fan motor is running.  Pull the frig out and access all of this from the rear bottom of the unit.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 bgaidan

bgaidan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:25 PM

How do I get to the condensor?  It appears that there are no access pannels on the front or rear of the Fridge.  Do I need to tip it to access them from the bottom? 

Although when I just pulled it out to look I noticed that the compressor and lines are exceptionally hot - almost too hot to hold my hand on them.  Is this a sign that the condensor is dead?

#4 bgaidan

bgaidan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

This is what I see when I look at the back.  I'm guessing that harness goes to the fan:

Attached Files

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:37 PM

Without a model number I could not tell what sort of system this box had, looks like you have the static condensor, it is on the back of the box, is not underneath nor do you have a condensor fan motor. If your compressor and freon lines are that hot sounds like the compressor is going down.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics