Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE REFRIGERATOR FREEZING UP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FISHYMAN

FISHYMAN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:10 PM

I have a GE GSS22QFMCCC side by side refrigerator that just starting freezing up 4 months ago. I had a service guy come up and replace the defrost heater. It was okay for 100 days (10 days after the 90 day warranty gave out) and then starting freezing up again. I have been running a small heater fan inside the freezer area to defrost the unit every 7 days. The coils have a 2-3 in coating of ice.I had the service guy come out again and he ran a quick check with the ohmmeter and opened the refrigerator door in succession 6-7 times to see if the defrost circuit would kick in. He told me that the timer was bad, opened the refrigerator door to look for the timer , could not find it, opened the back lid of the refrigerator and said the circuit board was bad- $250 plus S& H and installation costs. Told him forget it and I ordered it from GE and put it in myself. Still have the same problem though; don't want to get rid of fridge, what can I try next?

:drowning:

Ron

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

What was the part number of the heater? It should be on his invoice.   Open the door 6 or 7 times to initiate a defrost cycle? :laughing:  Good one.   The force is saying it's your evaporator thermistor,  Could be the terminator but the numbers still favor the thermistor.

#3 FISHYMAN

FISHYMAN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

WR51X442 DEF.HTR

#4 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:47 PM

You had a single heater originally and I'm sure the guy made the dual 442 heater work cause thats all he had.  I hope he used the terminator.  I'm not sure what effect that would have on the micro-contacts on the mother board.  If you study the board for a minute it shouldn't be too hard to find the defrost heater relay.  Does it look or smell toasty.  The only thing that hasn't been changed yet is your evaporator thermistor.

#5 FISHYMAN

FISHYMAN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:30 PM

Are you talking about the motherboard installed on the back of the refrig or another board? Where is the defrost heater relay on this board? What is the evaporator thermistor and where is it found?

#6 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:57 PM

[user=2595]FISHYMAN[/user] wrote:

Are you talking about the motherboard installed on the back of the refrig or another board?

Gee,  I thought I typed motherboard

Where is the defrost heater relay on this board?

The high voltage stuff is near the bottom where the fewer larger wires connect to it.  The low voltage stuff connects near the top of the board where the many smaller wires connect to the board (MOTHERBOARD)

What is the evaporator thermistor and where is it found?

It's the little white thing with white wires clipped to the top left of your evaporator coil.  87% probability this is your defective part.   I am a little concerned about your incorrect defrost heater situation.  If the amp draw is much greater than the original single heater it could damage your motherboard.  Could even take months or years.   I've used the wr51x442 to replace a single heater many times on the older models with a timer but never on a GSS.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:41 AM

Jedi is ezzacly right to be concerned about the excessive current draw on the pother board because of the wrong heater set being used. Sounds like this your parts changing monkey did a hack job on your fridge instead of ordering the correct part because he didn't want to make two trips.

#8 FISHYMAN

FISHYMAN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:01 AM

Noticed that the defrost heater was cracked. Ordered new plus thermostat from RepairClinic.

Motherboard was hot to the touch (see attached pic) where the yellow box is- Is this normal?

Besides that nothing else appeared to be burnt or smell hot.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Ron

;)

Attached Files

#9 FISHYMAN

FISHYMAN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:45 AM

I also put in a thermometer in the freezer side and noticed that it fluctuated from -20 to 20. Is that normal?

#10 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

If I understand you correctly,  you ordered the correct heater harness (single heater with thermostat)  and have not installed it yet and are questioning your freezer temperature fluctuations.

#11 FISHYMAN

FISHYMAN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

Yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics