Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

I have read all topics relating to my fridge, still need some help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 littlebit412

littlebit412

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:31 AM

> I have read everything in the forum relating to refrigerators. I did what
> you said to test defrost problems. I did the turn the timer thing and heard
> sizzles and seen orange. So ordered a timer and installed. It was working
> great and just when I trusted it and went shopping a week later to resupply,
> I left for 2 days to come home to soggy ice cream. The ice maker melted and
> coil was frosted up again. So I turned the defrost timer to click to see if
> it would solve problem. Got up in the morning and the coil is still froze.
> My model number is SMD22TBW, and made by Amana. Looks as if it has a caldrod
> heater, but not sure. So I ordered a thermostat. Took the back panel off and defrosted
> with a hair dryer and seems to be cooling again, but I know it is just a
> matter of time. If I let it totally defrost on it's own it will work for
> awhile and do it again.First time a year, then a month and now every few days.  Am I on the right track? Yesterday, I took my air compressor and blew everything out from underneath and around everything. Also took off the drain tube and checked for clogs, after putting hot salt water down it. Anything else I should be doing?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:41 AM

There was a tech bulletin out a while ago on the defrost thermostats in these fridges, intermittent operation. They get water in 'em and act squirrelly. Inexpensive part, replace it and you'll be good to go, budrow.

#3 littlebit412

littlebit412

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:07 AM

Is this item hard to replace? I put in the timer, unplug, plug in. I have read somewhere about bare wires, lookes like they unplug and plug. What do I need to put it in? I am a single mom, with two kids and laid off of work, so trying to fix this myself. I can't afford a new fridge and am trying hard to repair the one we got. You don't know how much I appreciate your website and all your help. I couldn't imagine what I would have done without you. Thanks again!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:13 AM

[user=2583]littlebit412[/user] wrote:

Is this item hard to replace?

Piece of pie, comrade! According to TAAMI, this repair rates a single mug on the SUDs-o-meter. Buy the kit that I linked you to in my previous post and it's a drop-in replacement-- just copy the existing wiring.

Unplug the fridge before commencing surgery.

Have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics