Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE top load washer WJSR2080T5WW

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 lunamander

lunamander

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:35 AM

The challenge:   At last Lunamander must covercome anxieties and confont discpline  of the powerful but misbehaved washing creature known by the name of  GEHeavyDutySuper, who despite faithful service for several years,  has but now revealed its perverse dark (and damp) side. 

Subtheme: (Perhaps it is angry for being reconciled to the laundry room for all its useful life? Must we now ponder the meanings in the lives of machines? What is the universal force by which they bring good things to life? and other deep questions.)

Set the Stage:: Upstairs working working on computer...laundry happily running downstairs.  Cheerful sounds of agitation, burbling, gurgling, in the background of awareness.....but then.....

First Act:  But Hark!!  What sound from yonder basement  breaks?! 

That  rushing water spraying sound from downstairs sounds abnormally loud ! 

Quick jump into action mode!

Action :: Rush downstairs (hoping auditory hallucinations are occurring), turn corner into laundry room..only to find....:yikes:

Scene:: Washer in spin cycle, floor sopping wet  (thankfully did not escape past concrete part of  floor.)    Alas, ear sanity is still intact:  water spraying sound is real.

Action::  Rush across room  (regretting soggy sock feet at each step.).... turn off washing maching...spraying sound  continues! 

Lightbulb goes off:   Aha! as suspected, must be naughty hoses!   Unworthy Lunamander, for  weeks have meant replace them due to itching thougths of burst hoses prickling at the brim of mechanical consciousness , now , through lack of timely hw store rigor, penance is due!  :bathead:

(split hose diagnosis reinforced  when spraying sound dimishes with water valve turnoff. )

But this is not the end!

Action mode:  Remove socks. Ick.      Then.....much mopping takes place.  Thank goodness for laundry sinks vs. standpipes!

Act 2: Ready to head to HW store for new hoses...but, hmmmm...why is no water sprayed on wall near hoses., only all over the floor ?..better check this out better prior to making trip.....

DIscovery:   Hoses have no apparent splits!

Action: Cautiously turn water valves back on....no leaking or spraying occurs!    Now the plot sickens!    What is source of wetness?!?!    Was it only a timing coincidence that  the spraying sound diminished as water was turned off??

Lightbulb goes on:   Oh-oh...perhaps the washing beast is leaking on the floor??   Bad GEHeavyDutySuper!    Bad washer!  

oh-oh...maybe this won't be so easy as hoses after all!   A pump? Some sort of seal?  I have not worked on a washer yet!     ....... And what about those yucky not-fully-spun-out-clothes!!  Arrgh! 

Action: Now....Look in washer at pitiful-soon -to-mildew clothes.....

Lightbulb goes on:  look at spin cycle progresss....hmmm, couldn't really be too much more intake of water, spinnin' of water,  leakin'  of water, left!   There must only be 3 or 4 minutes to go.

Girding loins::  I will dare starting the beast back up  and see what happens !  (1st best outcome, finish clothes load, and eliminate yucky clothes problem. ... 2nd best outcome: see /hear some small leak on already wet floor and identify source location. 3rd worst outcome: lots'more water and not progress on identifying source of problem.)

Outcome:  Cycle completed (clothes spun, hurray!  :D) . BUT If more leakage occurred must have been little: no noticeable increase in floor wetness, no spraying sounds (or addtiaonal water intake at that point in cycle).  Sadly,  Lunamander has failed to identify the source of wet behaviors.  :huh:

Request to expert audience for help in solving challenge:  Repsectfully request  suggested diagnoses / or diagnoses steps, so corrective training of poor washing machine behaviors may ensue.

Also, seems odds are high its necessary to remove cabinet (and possibly endure observation of a cycle)  please help on  steps of cabinet removal for this model.

Humbly with gratitude, seeking courage to confront washing beast GEHeavyDutySuper,  and wise advice of masters in proceeding effectively and efficiently.

Intermission
The  Lunamander

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:15 PM

Remove the front cover on  the washer and spin out a full load of toels with soapy water  and have the spot light pointed as if the washer was on stage in act 3  hehehe  ...... some of those bleach hoses were known to get a whole in   check that too.... other than that set the stage

#3 lunamander

lunamander

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

Ok.  I will do it.

How does the front cover come off  (so I don't ding it up)?

Should I bring a raincoat, oh  appliance master?

Lunamander.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

[user=2615]lunamander[/user] wrote:

How does the front cover come off (so I don't ding it up)?

Should I bring a raincoat, oh appliance master?

Lunamander.

Behold.

Raincoat optional; vaseline recommended.

#5 lunamander

lunamander

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:58 AM

If the words of your wise response  contain a clue on where to start getting the front cover off in a non-destructive manner,  the mystery of its obscure essence is not yet revealed to the grasshopper, whose simple and yet unformed appliantology mind cannot yet grasp its true meaning. 

Lunamander will attempt to pry at front cover to see if it is possibly held on by those funny little pointy clip things vs a hidden screw somewhere.  One  diagram on this site  shows that there are likely some clips at the bottom, but not what is holding top part of panel in place. 

Hopefully this grasshopper will not induce too much damage in this experimental process.

O masters of appliantology, Lunamander does not wish to further ire the GEHeavyDuty Super lest the subsequent  observation cycle induces wetting and spitting at Lunamander like an Andean llama in a rage. :shock:

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:03 AM

[user=2615]lunamander[/user] wrote:

If the words of your wise response contain a clue on where to start getting the front cover off in a non-destructive manner, the mystery of its obscure essence is not yet revealed to the grasshopper, whose simple and yet unformed appliantology mind cannot yet grasp its true meaning.

Click the link in my previous post, all is revealed therein.

#7 lunamander

lunamander

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:15 AM

Moral:

A watched washer does not leak...but as soon as you turn your back for a minute, a new symptom occurs!

After successfully removing  front of the offending creature, there have been a number of weeks of  playing watch-the-washer dress rehearsals which railed to yield the same floor wetting performance (other than about a tablespoons worth of droplets that seem to fly out from under the top rim instead of all dripping back down into the tub during spin cycle). 

We watched the darn thing, flashlight in hand for at least 2-3 loads per weekend since the  last Fixitnow exchanges on this topic..all ran like a champ, including a large load yesterday.

Today, we threw in a medium-size load (OK, so GE calls it "Large", in the GE "Small-Large-XtraLarge " sequence) and had the audacity to go work on something else for a while instead of again watching the machine. 

After the machine stopped, Lunamander trepidaciously looked in the utility room...hurray no wetting on floor....

BUT...aarrgh.....

Although timer was at the usual stopping point, when  lid was opened. clothes were sitting in a nice clean water bath...apparently the last rinse/spin cycle failed somehow....but of course we weren't watching to see exactly what  happened...  Lunamander restarted the washer in the spin cycle, and after a few false starts, the machine kicked in a performed normally  to pump/rinse/spin out the clothes. 

At last there are not a bunch of sopping clothes..but what the heck is going on with this thing????? 

(We really need to be able to spend time doing other things than "preventive washer watching!")

(AND, it appears the washer is now communicating with the refrigerator which has now developed its own leak on the floor some sort of appliance psychic connection is going  on.........)

#8 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

Watch out for over sudsing.  Clean the drain on your refrigerator.

#9 lunamander

lunamander

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:23 AM

Ran with almost no soap, which is pretty much always what  we do, but that is not the problem.

What happens now is that  the washer starts out fine, gets through agitation, pumps out the soapy water after wash cycle, but does not spin out.   Tried again to get it to kick into proper spinning behavior by manually restarting cycle at point where spinning usually occurs (recall in last note it finally got itself going with manual restart after several false attempts to get the basket moving it kicked in and completed like a champ), no luck. 

Pump pumps, basket just sits there.     Clothes are soggy....back to the laundromat.

Since there are variations on the symptoms, does this seem like the controls are frying?

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

These washers have known problems with the transmissions.  Usually they start out with the spin while agitating problem, which would make the water go up and over the tub if the water level is set on high.  Perhaps would not do this on medium or low since the water level is low enough as not to go up and over the top of the tub.  And now with no spin this could also go back to this same tranny problem.  When it does not spin is the motor running?  If not, you could have two problems here.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#11 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

The "false starts"  thing is normal on these, the pressure switch closes to start spinning and is re-opened by the water being centrifuged in the tub. I'm leaning towards a pressure-switch related issue (machine only pumping out rather than spinning). Check the operation of this switch, also check the tube which connects it to the tub for obstructions.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#12 lunamander

lunamander

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

Here's what the sequence seems like to me ....I am steppin gthrough this mostly to organize my own thoughts (obviously you already know this) as well as to note the points where problems occur:

1) fill -does this Ok, stops when it should

2) Agitate - does this OK, does not try to spin  whiel agitating, all seems well (so far).  Can see belt running with motor.  Lifitng lid stops machine.

3) Pump out water, while not spinning - does thsi Ok

4) After tub is drained, or close to it, kicks to spin out water  while pump still pumping - used to do this, could see belt running, now does not spin basket, belt assembly just sits there like it has no clue it shoudl do something.   Did not determine if any addtional motor noise above that of pump.  Mostly sem like it doesn't know to do it.  NO false starts at gettgin the tub rotating as noted last week.  Lifting lid makes no difference, it just keeps pumping.    The washer is about a dozen years old, I finally realized.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's where I turned it off and started writing you again. (Water pumped out, but clothes not spun.)

5) Fill with rinse water, agitate a little more I think - Don't get this far now because I couldn't cope with turning it on again  yet.

6) Soaks clothes in rinse water for a while

7) Pumps out rinse water

8) Starts spinning and keeps pumping

9) About half way through this part, sprays in clean water for about a minute or so while pumping and spinning

This is where I set to manaully last week and got it to finish spinning out a bunch of clean looking water.

10)  Finish spinning out water to end of cycle

Annoying it doesn't just  do the same behavior repeatedly in order  could pin down the problem. however this has beceom an annying fixit problem I want to be able to diagnose.

Per Mad Mac's note, tried looking on the GE top load diagram elsewhere on this site, but cannot find the pressure switch.   I assume this is different than the lid switch?  Where should pressure switch be / or look like?

Thank  you.

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:38 AM

Time to get out your volt meter to see where you are losing the voltage to the motor.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#14 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:44 AM

Pressure switch is the water level switch. Yours should look like this:

Posted Image

Clear plastic tube attaches to it, you'll find this in the console. GE part number WH12X10065, available from the link at the top of the page for a surprisingly conservative $25.85!

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

Here's the direct link to the part you need:

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=2205

#16 lunamander

lunamander

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

thanks for the pix, will  take apart the console this evening.. 

Just have this burning question.... if this is what controls the water cut-off at proper fill level, that aspect seems to be working OK, at least the water level seems to get  correctly set at fill time.   

I must not understand how this switch relates to starting up spinning when machine is  almost emptied of water.   
 I had the idea that this only controlling fill stopping and the rest was timer-based (this of course is why I am a grasshopper....)

#17 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:03 PM

The fill level switch is a double throw switch, shuts off the water when the selected level is satisfied and gives power to the timer to start the agitation cycle, and lets the washer know it is empty for the spin cycle. This switch also will not let the washer put more water into the tub until it is satisfied the washer is empty to keep from over filling the washer, thus it has to re-set itself after the water is below the bubble on the side of the tub, releasing the air pressure inside of the plastic tube.   Quite a worker, this part is.  Not to say this is your problem but is one place to look. 

#18 sherie

sherie

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:33 AM

Is it possible for me to get the link that tells how to remove the front cover on the top loading ge washing machine.  I need to clean some fuzz out of the pump.

Sherie

#19 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:09 AM

http://groups.msn.co...oto&PhotoID=491

#20 sherie

sherie

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

Oh wow thanks.   I just took the front off and the pump out and unscrewed the back to find a large ball of fuzz.  I have it back together and am just waiting to make sure I got the hoses on good before I replace the front.  Thank you very much!!!!

SUCCESS!!!!

:dude:   Sherie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics