Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE WKSR2100T9WW screaming like tortured farm animal during spin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brazen Repair Cricket

Brazen Repair Cricket

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

My washer screams during first attempts to spin.  If it gets going, with a really light load, it is noiser than 7 pigs being prepared for slaughter.

Most times with a slightly heavier load I have to use my massive farm hands to get the tub spinning.

When it has been trying to finish multiple loads in a row, the last ones are problematic and rarely finish.  Leaving my DW with a soppy mess.

I pulled the cover recently and rust colored spew is on every interior surface.  Most likely exacerbated by my first quieting solution of spraying lubricant on bottom of tranny assy.

Tranny turns both ways, but sometimes the resistance is too high for the motor to overcome and belt slips and I get a joyful burning smell to add to my soggy mess.  Is there a repairable/replaceable lower assembly available for that transmission or is all or nothing replacement of the transmission?  Does it sound like the culprit/varmit has been isolated to the lower portion of transmission?

Thank you sensi for your guidance.

-Eric

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:58 PM

Fried transmission. LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG history of this kind of issue with these. There is a 5-year "part-only" (you pay the labour charge) warranty on these transmissions. If under 5 years, I'd think hard before having it fixed. If over 5 years, forget it. Just my opinion.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:43 AM

You most likely got lubricant on the belt, pulley, and inside the clutch. You can figure on replacing the belt and clutch just for starters.

The gearcase is serviced by replacing the assembly. There is a bearing kit available, but it's not the way to go.

I would not invest much money on this machine. The newer GE washers are prone to numerous, multiple, and expensive failures.

Cut your losses and get a whirlpool top load machine.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Brazen Repair Cricket

Brazen Repair Cricket

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:42 AM

Thanks to all for the replies.  I got 9 years out of this one, so I took your advice and put it out to pasture.  Now it seems the matching dryer noticed it's mate has been removed and is slowly whining, possibly sympathy noises but I may have a drum bushing/bearing on it way out.

Let's hope the sympathy breakdowns end in the laundry room.  If dishwasher and range join forces, I may have an appliance mutiny on my hands.

-Eric

#5 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:29 PM

yeah buy a whirlpool or Kenmore 110. XXXXXXX   model      ....  

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

I would suggest a Whirlpool, roper, Estate, KitchenAid....the Kenmore 110. is Whirlpool but then you have to deal with Sears for any warranty issues............:?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics