Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gjshape

gjshape

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:28 AM

Please Help!!!  Whirlpool washer making terrible noise during spin cycle.  Washer does fine during aggitation cycle.  Pump works fine.

Followed other posts to find out how to take off cover, remove motor, remove motor coupler, and found no problems up to that point. 

Put everything back together except for cover and started spin.  Basket does not move.  Motor spins but clutch does not move.  I assume the problem is between the transmission, clutch, brake, or basket bearing (or whatever the basket spins on).  I don't know what to do next.  Do I take apart the washer to get to the basket to see if it is frozen, or take apart the transmission?  Please show me the way!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

Sounds like it's stuck in neutral - a fairly rare event, but not totally unknown. Check by starting spin, observing the clutch (you say its not moving). Then stop the washer, you should hear a "thump" (transmission engaging spin). Restart and it should spin. If not, transmission problem. These carry a 5 year part-only warranty on the tranny. If older than that, there may be a relatively easy fix if you're comfortable opening the transmission up. One of our Master Appliantologists, Mr. Burk, is an authority on the innards of the transmission, and should be able to advise you on this.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 gjshape

gjshape

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I am not sure it is in neutral.  I can't turn the basket nor does it move when I pull the knob to turn the washer on at the spin setting.  Nothing turns except the motor turning the pump and (I assume) the coupler.  At first when the problem started, the basket did turn slowly, but it is now completely locked up.  I can force the tub to turn, I could turn the coupling in one direction and the aggitator would move in the same direction and when turning the other way, the aggitator would turn a little and I would then feel the coupling "bump" like something was trying to catch but could not and slipped past until the next something would try to catch.

That is why I think somthing is frozen or locked up.

Let me know what you think.

#4 XNSXMANNY

XNSXMANNY

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

if i was doing this on a call the first thing i would do is try to turn the tub by hand, if it was stuck i would then drop the tranny to isolate the problem. see if it is a tub problem or a tranny problem and then go from there.

#5 gjshape

gjshape

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the help.  I dropped the tranny and found that the tub was still hard to turn, but I attribute that to the brake mechanism underneath.  I could turn it easier if I grabbed the plastic brake clip and used it to turn the basket.

I used the coupling to turn the tranny and the clutch would only turn periodically.  I think there are a few gears with worn teeth inside.  I found that I could turn the clutch to find a tooth that would make the clutch turn with the coupling (until I came to a worn spot on the gear inside and the coupling would turn with out the clutch). I'm looking to get a new tranny to fix my problem.

Thanks again for leading me.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:45 PM

Conveniently, you can buy the transmission right here.  :)

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:32 AM

Samurai, You need to teach the other gurus here in the forum how to format the links to RepairClinc so as you get the referal fees to help your site.

I noticed in another thread, I think it was Jedi, linking to RepairClinc parts but without your referal number in the link.

For any of you helpers in here, this is how the RepairClinc links should look:

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=XXXXXX

where XXXXXX is the RepairClinic part#

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:53 AM

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

For any of you helpers in here, this is how the RepairClinc links should look:

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=XXXXXX

where XXXXXX is the RepairClinic part#

Excellent point!  Thanks, Willie.  :rocker:

#9 The Wizard Of Odds!

The Wizard Of Odds!

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

:dude: 

Are you sure you didn't get someones socks, or underwear , stuck between the tub and the drum?

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:21 PM

[user=315]The Wizard Of Odds![/user] wrote:

Are you sure you didn't get someones socks, or underwear , stuck between the tub and the drum?

This is a Whirlpool direct drive washer, not a Maytag Dependable Care. :tard:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics