Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Laundry Center- possible bad pump- SUDS?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

Hi All, I hope I have done my due diligence before posting a new topic....searching, reading faqs from this and its affiliated sites, etc...

Anyhow, Frigidaire "Laundry Center" model number FLEB43RGSO.  Agitates just fine.  Going into the spin cycle, it sits silent for a couple minutes through what I suppose is supposed to be the drain cycle.  Then it tries to spin, and eventually works up a pretty decent head 'o steam for a tub full of water, and then starts a loud squeal and eventually the smell of burning rubber.

Perusing all these fine pages, I suspect either the pump and/or the pump pulley.  Does that sound about right?  Is there the possibily of a foreign object jamming the pump impeller causing the issue? 

So, what is the SUDS quotient for this job?  I'll have to add an extra mug or two due to where it is (I have to pry it out of its closet, into a narrow hallway, and out the door and over to my barn to get enough room to work on it).

Thanks! 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:37 PM

Open that puppy up and lay some eyeballs on the situation. A world of discovery awaits you. Could be anything from a bad transmission to a seized pump to a worn belt. SUDs vary accordingingly.

#3 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:44 AM

OK then, I'll tear into it...and I forgot the most imporant part about the upcoming journey..."down a flight of stairs".  Better eat my Wheaties!

Thanks!

#4 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:38 AM

Well, I broke down and called a repair shop.  Answering machine said "All weekend calls returned by 9AM Monday, with service guaranteed by noon Monday".  I left pertinent details- make, model, problem.  I take the day off work, sit around, then at 11:30 I get a call, "we don't work on laundry centers".  AAAARRRRGHHHH!  So now I'm resuming self repair....

Is this a back or a bottom accesss?  Gonna try it in the hallway since I have the house to myself...hopefully someone is around...?

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:02 AM

Two screws at the bottom of the front panel - remove these, the front panel slides down and off. These are "Robertson" screws, they need a square bit to shift them - they may look like a Phillips will work, but it won't.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Mac!  I knew I should have eaten lunch and waited for a reply before pulling the thing out of the closet and laying it down!    Oh well, the floor needed cleaning anyways!!!! :headbang:

#7 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:14 AM

:bananadance:

Woo Hoo!  Was just a big 'ole piece of lint stuck in the pump impeller.  Wifey was washing a throw rug....

Once I had the requisite info (thanks Samurai and Mac!), only about a 1/2 SUDS job.  (Add another 1 or 2 suds if you don't have a handy-dandy security screw bit kit for the Robertons and the torx on the pump.  Of course, I made the 'simple repair complicated' by removing the unit and trying to access via the rear and bottom, but there was 4 years of gook under/behind/next to the unit that could stand a good cleaning, anywayze.

Now, I did some damage to my belt...stil woks OK, but I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before I have to replace that.  What's that SUDS factor?  And what's the procdure for sending Suds (The noun, not the acronym) to the Master to my Grasshoper???

The good news is, I don't have to go by a front-loading pair (I had settled on the Duet after reading everything here- it would just entail a minor reframing of my closet door to fit it in).  The bad news is, I don't have to go buy the Duets.  I already had my rationaliztion all worked out, seeing the cost savings by using a front-loader.

And THANK GOODNESS for small favors!  The repair person who ticked me off many paragraphs ago by not honoring their commitments and waiting until the middle of the day to call actually saved me $$$ ! 

#8 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

Belt - fairly straightforward on these, but use only the genuine Friggidaire replacement.

Our illustrious leader welcomes donations at:

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics