Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Can lightening kill all my kitchen appliances at once?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 elichten

elichten

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

Hi Folks.  Maybe someone can offer some suggestions for my power surge problems?  I have a 6-month old Kenmore refridgerator, a couple-year old GE dishwasher, and a 2-month old Kenmore dehumidifier....... all don't work after a wicked storm came through yesterday.  One lightening strike sounded like a bomb, so it couldn't have struck more than a house or two away from me!  We lost power for a minute or two.  After we got electricity back, I went around the house to check things and noticed several appliances not working.  I checked that the breakers weren't tripped (they weren't), but yet both the Dishwasher and the Dehumidifier were totally dead - no lights or nothing.  The Fridge, well I got lights and LEDs, but no no compressor or fan or any other significant noises.  Is there anything I can check or try before I call in the Pros?  Any help would be most appreciated!thanks,- Eric

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

I've seen this happen more that once. If all the affected appliances had electronic controls and you didn't have surge suppressors on them, then they are very susceptible to damage from lightning and power surges.

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:32 AM

Contact your power company. Your appliances that still have factory warrenty probably aren't covered for power surge or lightning damage. The warrenties are limited to defects in material and workmanship. 
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 elichten

elichten

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:15 PM

Well, it turns out that it WAS the house next to me that got hit by lightening!  It first struck their fence (sent half of it across the yard and the other half in splinters), travelled across wire mesh attached to it, then jumped to the house and through all the pipes and wires.   Almost everything electric was zapped - even their computer which wasn't even plugged in and several appliance which WERE on surge protectors (not sure of Juelle ratings)!  And, these folks were IN the house when it struck - how scary!  Several neighbors are reporting similar zappings.  SO...... what's the moral of this story?  What steps can be taken to prevent zappings?  Put surge protectors on everything with an electronic control?  What about appliances on dedicated 220-volt circuts?  Are any appliances built with some onboard surge protection or circut breaker that can be reset?  Lastly, are zapped appliances repairable or scrap metal?  Perhaps lessons from my minor tragedy can be used to prevent someone else's in the future.  So, your wisdom is appreciated by all!  Thanks again - Eric 

#5 elichten

elichten

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:18 PM

PS - I am specifically concerned about my new Kenmore Trio Fridge, which seems to have a faint humming from the back, but no Compressor action.  Is there anything I might be able to try before calling in a Pro?

#6 elichten

elichten

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:21 PM

PSS - Nickfixit, thanks for writing back.  What might my power company be able to do for me in this situation?  Do they have some fund for victims of lightening?

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:35 PM

There is no protection from a direct lightning strike and this will all go thru your homeowners insurance.  If they are repairable or have to be replaced will be determined by the adjuster who will have you contact a service company to access the damage and give an estimate for repairing or replacing if not worth fixing.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics