Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Puzzling Ice Maker Ancient Sub Zero 2811 1986 model

Konnichiwa Gurus:

I certify I have read all the faqs, replacement techniques etc before posting this problem.

I have a 1986 Sub Zero 2811 , the ice maker was replaced once which is important to the story by a local repairman.

In replacing the unit he didn't switch out the original bail. Now we start our problem.

The unit died in 2 months, disgusted I got a WP Modular unit and installed it myself last summer with a the ridiculously huge bail the install said went with my 2811. WRONG it is so large it hangs up on the condenser unit before it can ever hit the off switch.

Problem, it makes enough ice in 24 hours to sink the Titanic over again.

I then took out the useless bail and installed the standard bail, but it too cannot trip high enough to shut off the unit.

I don't even know now what the original bail looked like from the original ice maker but neither of the new bails work.

Where do  I turn wise ones, the replacement ice maker for the Round style plug shows the smaller bail I reinstalled and we know that doesn't work.

Stranded in IceLand

jon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jetcone

• Moostafa

• RegUS_PatOff

• certified tech group 51

Hello, my bailing friend. Forgive me for being obtuse, however, since English is but a 16th language for me, I seem to be having a bit of trouble understanding some of your terms. For example, "bail." To which part on the icemaker does this refer? I was also confused because the condenser is located down below, outside the freezer compartment. To which part of the icemaker are you referring when you mention the "condenser?"

Hi Mostafa:

The bail I call the metal rod that senses the ice level in the bin. The condenser ( Laundry equip is my strong suit so I may be using the incorrect term)  to me is the box mounted inside the freezer that has the fins where the air is blown across them to cool the freezer.

So in this unit the "fin" box is so close to the bail the bail can't move up to shut the ice maker off and it runs continually.

My problem is I have tried two different bails that came with replacement units and neither of them work. And the original bail was taken away by the first service man so I don't even know what that looked like.

Jon

Hello again, my condensing friend. The finned part you refer to is called the evaporator. But this is academic, let us turn our opiated gazed to the real problem at hand: finding a replacement feeler arm for your icemaker.

Does the original feeler arm look similar to the one shown below:

00039486.jpg

Could the part you need is P/N 3140400 ??  It is an bail arm extension..   Tried to post a picture,  but............Check the part in repairclinic.........................................

those (7) files don't show us here when they're on your computer

they would have to be uploaded here or some server and linked to...

• Team Samurai

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

those (7) files don't show us here when they're on your computer

they would have to be uploaded here or some server and linked to...

Whachoo be talkin aboot, Mon?  :afro:

[user=32822]certified tech group 51[/user] wrote:

1  2    3 4    5   6 7 :ooo:

Moostafa: that arm came with the replacement unit and it is the one that jams, I think the arm "Certified tech group 51" listed as P/N 3140400  may be the arm that was original to the fridge, I seem to recall there was metal and plastic to the original arm that came out.

jon