Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer top load

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Need to do Laudry-Please help

Need to do Laudry-Please help

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:28 AM

hi,
trying to finish laundry- the machine goes through all cycles, but on the spin i start smelling a burning odor and the machine just stops spinning.
i looked under the machine and then put the machine on spin cycle, it wouldn't spin until i moved the coupler. while spinning i drop of oil came out of the transmission gear box.
was just wondering if anyone might suggest if that might mean i have to get a new transmission gear box.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,022 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:02 AM

Probably not a transmission problem. I would suspect the coupler, motor, timer-- in that order.

Start by removing the motor and inspecting the coupler.

Does the motor make a growling noise during spin? Getting really hot? Lights dimming or fluttering a little? If yes to any of these, then you'll want to verify that the motor is not getting two of it's speed windings energized simultaneously. Wiring diagram and meter and needed for this. Wiring diagram is inside the back panel. Meter help here:

http://fixitnow.com/...tion-making.htm

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:13 AM

Does the motor get hot to the touch?
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Need to do Laudry-Please help

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:03 AM

hi,
there is no noise on motor, timer is new, coupler is ok, machine works ok with small loads only.

#5 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:09 AM

Be more specific   does it only spin on small loads  .... if its   a large load does the motor just  hum .....    Im kinda lost with your complaint

#6 Need to do Laudry-Please help

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:52 AM

now the machine doesn't spin on small loads or large loads,
the timer goes to the spin cycle, but nothing happens- i get a burning smell.
coupler looks good, no humming noises, i hear the timer working.

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:02 AM

Need to see what might be jamming the motor, tranny, something stuck between the spin basket and the tub, drive block worn out, spin basket sitting on the bottom of the tub., something in the pump....need to pull the case and look in the pump, remove the motor, jump the lid switch and see if the motor will run when off of the tranny and pump.  Put your foot on the motor when you put voltage to it by  turning the timer on in the spin to see if the motor runs or gets hot and cuts out.  If the motor is ok, check the other things.  See if you can turn the tranny shaft both ways.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 Need to do Laudry-Please help

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

I am going to try all the possibilites you mentioned, however
when the tub was filled with clothes and water, I opened the door and pushed down on the door switch with my finger while pushing clockwise on the tub and it started spinning and finishing the wash cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics