Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

No ice from icemaker

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eric426

Eric426

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:36 AM

My icemaker quite making ice suddenly.  The freezing tray is empty. It is a newer style maker that doesn't have a wire bail.  It is controlled by light passing through the ice bucket.  When ice obstructs the light beam, the icemaker shuts off.  I have double checked the slide switch to make sure it's on.  There is water present at the door dispenser.  My water runs through an RO system before it goes to the fridge.  As I was moving it to check the lines, I had my head near the side of the freezer.  I thought I hear a click, like a solenoid or relay and a slight hum for about 8-10 seconds. It then stopped.  I checked the ice tray and still no water.  Help!

Thanks
Eric

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 31,387 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:46 AM

Start with these diagnostics:

http://fixitnow.com/...s/icemakers.htm

#3 Eric426

Eric426

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:15 AM

OK, here's an update. I found the water valve and the associated coils for the water dispenser in the door and the other coil I'm assuming is for the water into the icemaker?  The coil resistance on the water side was 177 ohms.  The other coil was open by my measurement.  I would have thought they would both be the same resistance.  I read the posts about the water inlet line freezing if you run through an RO system before the water gets to the fridge. I have that same setup and been running it for 5 years with no issue.  I can't imagine why it would start to act up now.  I don't really see that this is an issue with the Kenmore fridges.

If I had to make my best guess, I think I'd be ordering a water valve.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Eric

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

This is a Whirlpool Frig. with the Kenmore name stuck onto it.  Here is a link to the service pointer about your fill tube freezing up and the repair.  If the fill tube is not frozen up then you need to replace the fill valve. The frozen fill tubes are known issues with the ice-in-door frige's..  Pull the water line from the valve and see if you can blow thru it, if not need to defrost the thru tube.  If you can replace the valve.

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#5 Eric426

Eric426

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for that info.  Now a dumb question probably, which line actually goes to the icemaker? Is it the one that goes up the back of the refrigerator on the outside or is it the one that goes up through the middle of the refrigerator?

You didn't answer the question about the resistance of the coils, shouldn't they both be about the same resistance?

Thanks

Eric

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

I do not know, we just replace them if they are bad, a reading on the coil will only tell you if the coil is dead or not, will not tell you if the valve will actually open when voltage is applied to the coil.  The ice maker line is the 1/4 inch line that goes to the thru tube to the ice maker.

#7 Eric426

Eric426

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Peggi,

Do you know how the icemaker rubber fitting comes out of the top of the refrigerator?  I did confirm the line had ice in it.  I'm trying to pull the section of line out into the freezer area so I can put some heat on it to thaw out the ice.  The fitting that sticks down into the icemaker looks like some sort of grommet that seals up into the roof of the freezer.  I think it should just pull down but I don't want to damage it and I'm not sure how the 1/4 inch line actually is attached to it.

Eric

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

Here is the breakdown showing you the fill line and fitting, ref #2, you will want to unfreeze the frig where the line goes thru to remove the fitting.

Posted Image

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:54 PM

[align=left]Water Delivery[/align]

[align=left]Water is delivered to the ice maker mold by[/align]
[align=left]means of a “tube-within-a-tube” design. A conduit[/align]
[align=left]system consisting of three separate pieces[/align]
[align=left](liner fitting, conduit, back panel fitting) is[/align]
[align=left]foamed into place in the cabinet.[/align]
[align=left]This conduit provides a pathway from the[/align]
[align=left]freezer liner to the back panel. The majority of[/align]
[align=left]this system is routed above the refrigerator liner[/align]
[align=left]to prevent the water tubing from freezing. The[/align]
[align=left]tubing that delivers the water is routed through[/align]
[align=left]the conduit, and is secured by snapping into[/align]
[align=left]place at the freezer liner fitting. [/align]
[align=left]The water tube is made of polypropylene with[/align]
[align=left]an overmolded santoprene nozzle. Due to the[/align]
[align=left]rigid nature of the polypropylene, this tube is[/align]
[align=left]mated to a more flexible polyethylene tube with[/align]
[align=left]a John Guest fitting high on the back panel.[/align]
[align=left]This change of material is necessary to prevent[/align]
[align=left]kinking when the tubing is attached to the[/align]
[align=left]water valve.[/align]

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:57 PM

This is the complete service manual covering this in-door ice system and may help you.  Remember this is a Whirlpool box with the Kenmore name on it.

#11 Eric426

Eric426

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:33 AM

Pegi,

Thank you so much!  I just took a look at the procedure for melting ice and removing the tube. It's a good thing I didn't try to remove the tube before I read the procedure.  It's also good to see how the manufacturer wants you to melt the ice.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics