Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag washer LAT9714AAE wont spin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ward

ward

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

I have a top loading Maytag washer, Model LAT9714AAE, Serial #A0105311KU. When the machine goes into the spin cycle, it now makes a loud whine or whistle type noise accompanied by the smell of hot rubber. I checked the belt tension per instructions on another web page and found that the pump belt was loose so I tightened it as much as the slots for the pump mounting screws would allow and it resulted in the ¼” space called for. I then tested the machine and found that the pump still worked fine but when beginning the spin cycle it still makes a loud whine or whistle type noise accompanied by the smell of hot rubber and I noted that the motor pulley is very hot. Checking underneath I noted that motor and pump were turning but the drive belt was not

Both belts appear to be in good condition and there is no obvious buildup of belt residue around any pulley. The belt between the motor and agitator/drum can be moved by hand so the agitator shaft does not appear to be seized up. It takes considerable force to move the inside drum by hand.

Would this be a dreaded transmission problem? Is the machine ready to junk? It has worked flawlessly until now. There does not appear to be any bunched up socks, towels etc jammed at the top of the drums.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:47 PM

Have you replaced the belt at all... The drive belt...  many times they just get glazed and wont pull the drive pulley.....  Also  when you remove the front panel of the washer   make sure that the motor can move very freely on the slide kit that its on  if  anything apply some oil on it like WD 40 ....... where the motor sits push the motor forward and back  on each side it kinda rides in what I would call a grove like a drawer cabinet or something    spray that with the wd 40   if the rubber wheels or whater the heck they are made outta get flat spots and wont slide   .... hence the slide kit   ya wont tension the belt correctly..... and make sure the spring is on the slide kit I have never seen it missing but hey    your on the internet so anything can happen.............    If you can spin the pulley by hand I wouldnt go ahead and suspect a transmission ... with that model its more common for a brake package and not a trans   .... all that happens when that unit spins is it releases a brake and spins   ..... we just hope that you also have nothing under the basket stopping the unit from spinning .... ya got a few things to check   post back let us know how ya make out ...  there is more to this but start with that  .....

#3 ward

ward

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

Thank you for your quick reply. Many distractions have diverted my attentions elsewhere these past few weeks but alas the laundry pile is now a serious attention getter. I have not replaced the belts but had taken them off and inspected them with a local parts dealer. It was his opinion that the belts looked as good as new. There is no apparent glazing of the surfaces. The motor mount slide appears to be well lubricated and moves readily.

I have not removed the basket as yet. It appears that a special wrench would make the removal easier but can other more common tools do the job without wrecking anything? Does removal of the basket destroy the concrete ballast ring? I now strongly suspect that there could be an object preventing the basket from spinning since the last few loads washed before the problem occurred were very dirty rags that may have had some grit stuck to them despite shaking them out before washing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics