Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Gas turnes on by its self.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 harwich

harwich

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:56 AM

My mother just called me at work last night, her gas oven is going on by its self. The knob for the oven is in the off position yet the oven fires up stays on for several minutes, shuts off, then goes on again. I never heard of anything like this before. I called my friends from the local firehouse and had them come by to shut off the gas. This morning I came home from work the gas was turned off and the range unpluged. I pluged it back in with all burners turned off and I heard a pop from under the cook top and the breaker triped. Would a defective ignitor cause the oven to turn its self on? Would it be safe to turn the gas on and leave it unpluged so she could at least use the cooktop?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

Does this oven have and electronic range control?  Not sure what that means?  Post your brand and model number so we can have a look-see.

#3 harwich

harwich

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

Fearless warrior thank you for your reply. The make is Caloric: Serial #
RL5 357 UW OF. Now for an update. Just got back from Moms. I opened the cook top to see if I could find the source of the short. I found two wires that were disconnected a red wire and a yellow wire. These came off a ceramic block that is connected to the burner control knob for the left rear burner. Reconnected the wires, no more short. But I am still concerned about the original problem of the oven turning on by its self. My mother stated that the oven comes on for about 10 seconds turned its self off for about a minute went on again for about 10 seconds went off for hour, then started again.
As for electronic range control, I assume (I know we should never assume) this means a timer that controls cooking time (shuts of the oven at a preset time) This oven does not have one. Thanks.

Mike

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:57 PM

Sounds like you solved the problem!:banana:

Shorting wires like that will act just like a switch being closed.

#5 harwich

harwich

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:03 PM

Thank you Oh Exalted One for your reply. With all due respect I don’t think the short was causing the oven to come on by its self. Sunday morning when I looked at it I opened the top to check the wires on the thermostat (I did not notice the disconnected wires at that time) and probably caused one of the wires to come in contact with metal which caused the short and the breaker to trip. The wires were disconnected for a while because my mother said the igniter for that burner has not worked for a long time and this morning was the first time the oven caused the breaker to trip. I think they are two separate problems, the short, which only happened today after I moved the wires, which is now fixed and the oven coming on by its self.

Your Humble Servant,
Mike

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, that woulda been too easy, no fun in that. 

Ok we're back to model number.  You posted a serial number. 

#7 harwich

harwich

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

O Great Samurai I heap much apologies upon you. I sorry I did not get back to you sooner. The evil gods of hops and barley sprung upon me with out warning ( I think the Jagermeister gods were there for a couple hours also) needless to say it was a VERY LONG night.

Model # RLS 357 UW OF
Serial # DO 16 9569824

I remain your humble servent,
Mike

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

Ok, I couldn't pull up anything on that model, might be too old, might be orphaned. We're gonna need to squint at the wiring diagram. If you have it, fax it to me at 775-416-4449 or post it in this thread as an attachment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics