Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Coldspot Side By Side Icemaker smells

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 misha

misha

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:56 PM

Hi,

Have a fairly recent Sears Kenmore ColdSpot Side by side, model 50593003 with icemaker and water in door.

Recently the ice cubes made in the ice maker have started to have an odor. The water dispensed through the door doesn't seem to have this odor just the ice. I switched out the water filter even though it was still showing good and ran quite a bit of water through the lines to see if that would clear them. But still having the odor problem with the ice.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a way to clean the water line, figure there may be some bacteria of some type growing in there somewhere. Maybe run some bleach through the lines....just not sure how to get to it other than from the connection in the back.

Thanks in advance

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

The ice in the freezer can take smells in from items in the unit maybe you have smell in the freezer itself   ......   Make sure that you clean your freezer and refrig   ....  best way to do this is wait till ya need to go shopping so that ya dont have that much stuff in there and then    pack it all in a cooler   ..... unplug the unit and with baking soda and small amount of soap  with warm water wipe down everything in the refrig... If you can keep the doors open for a while let the whole unit fully become defrosted and do the same thing again......   after that plug in the refig and let it get cold again ....  buy a box of baking soda  made for the fridge ....that helps take odors out and leave it in there   ...  I clean my refrig often and I do a full cleaning in the freezer about every to months... ya have food in there ya have to keep it sanitary...

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

Also, consider an icemaker water filter.

#4 misha

misha

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:13 AM

Thanks but my wife is a clean freak so the freezer is clean, clean, clean. And, I have done the empty the ice bin for new ice several time.
My best "next" assumption is that there is a build up of something in the plastic feed tubing that feeds the icemaker. Just don't know how best to go trying to flush that out. Any suggestions appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics