Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

in-door control problems with Maytag side-by-side

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:39 PM

THis is an awsome site. I could sure use your help with my Maytag RSW24A. First I apologize for needing help finding the SN tag. I have looked in all 4 places it should be and torn it apart looking everywhere else but all I find is a sticker inside the door with the model#. THere is nothing on the inside wall beside the top crisper like the manual says there should be. I got this box used about 7 years ago. I believe it was about 3 years old when we got it.

The light works in the controls on the door but nothing else does. The ice maker fills the bucket inside, but the switch on the door won't activate to send ice out the chute nor water through the valve in the door.

There are 2 sets of wires coming through the door by the hinges. The set with just two wires is hot while the set with three is not. (black/red/pink) I see no evidence of any damage to the wires near the hinge.

There are two switches on the inside of the freezer. The bottom switch controls the light inside the freezer, I assume the top switch sends power to the door panel but I don't see how to get to it to check it.

I can pull the face off the front panel and expose the front of the switch on the door but I can't figure out how to get to any more of the switch to test it.

And while I've got you, shouldn't there be a seal of some sort in the chute to separate the ice compartment from the warm air outside? Something more than a hard plastic hinged flap that just hangs straight down but doesn't close it off? Condensation runs down the chute into the tray and the ice cubes in the bucket eventually melt into a block.

Thanks so much for your help

Rob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

Yes, the chute door should be closing, need to see what parts are broken and replace.  Check the switches also for the auger motor and the water disp.  This shows you the breakdown for the disp area.

Posted Image

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Rob

Rob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:35 AM

Thank you Pegi for looking at this for me. Did you send a link or a file of the disp area? I see nothing but text.:?

How do I get to the back of that switch to check it? It does not click when pressed if that helps....

thx

Rob

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:42 AM

Hummmm, I posted the drawing of the complete break down of the disp area, showing all of the parts.  Sorry if you cannot see the image???  I do not know why you are seeing only text...

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 Rob

Rob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:54 AM

Got it, it just took a while to load.

thx

#6 Rob

Rob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:40 AM

Control mystery solved. The switch was not making enough contact to activate the solenoid for the water and the ice auger. I tweaked the arm a little on the switch and it's all good now.

To fix the chute issue it looks like I'll have to replace the whole module in the door. Can't do that until I figure out how to get the old one out. As far as I can tell it's only attached by the screws on the front under the perimeter of the beauty plate but it sure doesn't want to pull out. Any ideas? Frozen in?

The real kicker now is as I was dutifully vacuuming off the coils etc., every time I touched a water line it snapped. :yikes: So now I'm trying to replace all those. Any thoughts on that miserable job? Maytag was kind enough to randomly switch back and for between 3/8 and 5/16 hose...

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:16 AM

JUst get some of the plastic line and couplers the right size and start splicing or run whole new lines if it is not foamed into place inside the cabinet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics