Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE (GSH22KGMB WW ) Cube/Crush Ice center problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pocoman72

pocoman72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:09 AM

I have a GE Model # GSH22KGMB WW (sise by side)  and the cube crush dispenser control buttons do not work. It does dispense water but will not switch from water to cube to crush.

8Pressing the cubed control button turns on the light but the green indicator does not come on and of course no crushed ice.

I have a control board on order from repairclinic.com but can't seem to see how to remove the frontbanel to get at the circuit board.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

Why are you assuming it's your board?  A bad or frozen auger motor would have the same symptoms you are describing.

Grasshopper,  your quest for knowledge lies here.  You have one of the affected models.

Ignore Triton46.  He has a completely different model and only managed to pollute a good and informative thread on a specific problem.  He should have posted in a new topic.  It annoys me when people do that.

#3 pocoman72

pocoman72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:59 AM

I wasn't assuming it was the board. I had a GE guy here for another GE appliance problem, a dryer that stopped blowing hot air (under warranty).

I asked him and he said it was the board.

I called the 800 number and they were clueless about a problem with the door. They then gave me an 800 # for recalls but it was dishwasher recalls.

I sent a message to repairclinic and they told me to order the interface panel which I did.

Is the door thing a known problem or just one you have seen. I guess I just don't know the magic words to get it replaced.

Thanks for your help

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:53 AM

[user=2]Jedi Appliance Guy[/user] wrote:

Ignore Triton46. He has a completely different model and only managed to pollute a good and informative thread on a specific problem. He should have posted in a new topic. It annoys me when people do that.

Good point, thanks for raising it, Jedi. I took out the trash on that thread and deleted Triton's post.

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:09 AM

Read this Moisture Repair bulletin to G.E. Authorized servicers???  May clear up some things. Your model number is in this bulletin, will need your serial number to finish seeing if you fall in this.

http://www.keypresti...SxSMoisture.pdf

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 pocoman72

pocoman72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:05 AM

Thanks,

My SN# starts with RA so it's not in the affected series.

Thanks anyway, Hopefully the interface fixes the prob

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

Use a small flat screwdriver to pry that board out from the bottom.  Just for fun post the thickness of your refrigerator doors.  Measure just the metal part.

#8 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

[user=2657]pocoman72[/user] wrote:

I wasn't assuming it was the board. I had a GE guy here for another GE appliance problem, a dryer that stopped blowing hot air (under warranty).

I asked him and he said it was the board.

I hope you tipped the guy.  He can not name a price  for looking at your other appliance "while he's there".   If he does he can be fired on the spot and rightfully so.  You don't compete with your boss. 

So... you say "while you're here" can you look at this.   He can....

A: Say no.

B: Quote you his company's rates to look at it.

C: Be a nice guy and look at it for FREE and only HOPE you slip him at least a 5 spot,  Maybe a little more if he saves you more that 50 dollars.  If you ask him "what do I owe you" He'll say "nothing".  He has to.   And if you don't slip him a little something for being so nice,  He'll still say "thank you and have a nice day".  But he'll be thinking "Thanks for nothing you cheap bastard.. That's OK.  You got a house full of GE appliances... I'll be seeing you again real soon... and next time it'll be A or B".  And he doesn't forget.

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

[align=left]Important Change to 4th Year Moisture Program On any service call for any failure on the listed models/serial numbers, please call customer relations once the diagnosis is complete at 1-800-437-9283, prompt 1. The serial number range on the affected models has been expanded to include all serial numbers from AA2-ZD2. [/align]

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#10 pocoman72

pocoman72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

[user=2]Jedi Appliance Guy[/user] wrote:

Use a small flat screwdriver to pry that board out from the bottom. Just for fun post the thickness of your refrigerator doors. Measure just the metal part.

The thickness of my doors is 2 inches. I will be calling the 800 listed in the last message to see if my doors can be replaced.

Thanks again for the info

Important Change to 4th Year Moisture Program On any service call for any failure on the listed models/serial numbers, please call customer relations once the diagnosis is complete at 1-800-437-9283, prompt 1. The serial number range on the affected models has been expanded to include all serial numbers from AA2-ZD2.

#11 pocoman72

pocoman72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:40 AM

Well I called the 800 # and had less than acceptable experience. I don't know what I expected but they wanted to charge me a service call and in my mind I was unwilling to pay $200+ dollars for a service call. The 800# did not tell me this but the repair guy told me any service call on my refrig would be at least $200.

So I will hope the interface panel is the problem or just use the manual method of removing ice. I will also be re-thinking GE appliances in the future since I have had two dryers die withiin 4 years and one still waiting for repair under warranty.

Thanks for your suggestions and I hope you enjoy my contrib to your beer kitty :):)

Dan

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:08 AM

You are quite welcome.....;)

#13 JAD011

JAD011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

Pegi,

I'm having the same moisture problem with my GE side by side as I've seen discussed here and in the forum Jedi Appliance Guy references above (i.e., moisture in the door, rusting parts, ice chute flap that remains in the open position).  I had the GE repairman out today and also spoke with GE Customer Relations.  It appears that GE will the provide corrective parts (better insulated doors) and service for FREE to those who live in the state of Florida.  But for the rest of us, the cost of GE's design problem is $159.50.  Any idea why this would be?

Also, I noticed that you posted a website where I could read the .pdf file about the problem, however, I'm "denied access" to that site.  Is there another way to get at it?

BTW- my model number is:  GSS25WGMCCC

Thanks

JAD

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:51 PM

[align=left] [/align]

[align=left]GE Consumer Home Services [/align]

[align=left]Richard Zutterman
Consumer Home Services [/align]

[align=left]National Service Manager
AP6-239 [/align]

[align=left]Appliance Park [/align]

[align=left]Louisville, KY 40225 [/align]

[align=left]502-452-3168 [/align]

[align=left]Dear GE Customer Care Servicer 03/14/05 [/align]

[align=left]Enclosed you will find a copy of the refrigerator side by side moisture Program. GE is extending this program to cover the refrigerator up to 4 years from the date of purchase. The model and serial numbers in this bulletin will apply to the 4th year program. There is one
significant change to the program. Once you are in the customers home and have diagnosed a moisture problem covered under this program please call GE Customer Relations at 1-800-437-9283 and hit prompt number "1" before installing the moisture kit or attempting to repair the product. Customer Relations will review the service history and advise you of the required service actions to resolve the consumer’s problem. Claim submission instructions will be provided by Customer Relations regarding how to submit the claim, for labor only, parts and labor, or parts only. Submit a claim using the normal warranty MA00 repair code. The cost of the parts will be credited to your parts account when the claim is processed. [/align]

[align=left]Thank you for your continued support to our customers. [/align]

[align=left]Sincerely, [/align]

[align=left]Richard Zutterman [/align]

[align=left]National Service Manager [/align]

[align=center]Refrigeration Side by Side Moisture Program – Four years from install date [/align]

[align=left]Models Affected: [/align]

[align=left]If serial number in matrix matches model number in matrix, the unit is part of the population. [/align]

[align=left]Models with Serial Range AA-GD [/align]

[align=left]For moisture related issues: [/align]

[align=left]CR will advise the technician to complete one of the following corrective actions: [/align]
  • [align=left]

• Install Super Kit (WR49X10086) if kit is in truck stock [/align]

[align=left]

• • Replace FF and FZ doors [/align]

[align=left]

• • Exchange unit [/align]

[align=left]

• • During this call, CR will provide instructions on processing your claim. [/align]
[/*]

[align=left]- If unit is to be exchanged, CR will coordinate exchange with consumer. [/align]

[align=left]Revised 3/24/05
BSY25, GFGSS22, JFGSS25Q, FDSS25PF, GSS22KG, GSS25Q, GESS22XG, GSS22QF, GSS25S, GESS25XG, GSS22QG, GSS25UF, GSH22KG, GSS22SG, GSS25VG, GSH25KG, GSS22UF, GSS25W, GG20DB, GSS22VG, HSS22BD, GSS201B, GSS22WG, HSS22DD, GSS201E, GSS25JE, HSS22IF, GSS221B, GSS25JF, HSS25IF, GSS22JE, GSS25K, GSSS25KF AA2XXXX, TA2XXXX, DA2XXXX, VA2XXXXAdditional FA2XXXX, ZA2XXXX, Numbers GA2XXXX, AD2XXXX, HA2XXXX, DD2XXXX, LA2XXXX, FD2XXXX, MA2XXXX, GD2XXX, RA2XXXX, SA2XXXX [/align]
[align=left]Important Change to 4th Year Moisture Program On any service call for any failure on the listed models/serial numbers, please call customer relations once the diagnosis is complete at 1-800-437-9283, prompt 1. The serial number range on the affected models has been expanded to include all serial numbers from AA2-ZD2[/align]
[align=left] [/align]

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:59 PM

As for the different policy in the different states I have not much of a clue except  some community group in Florida filed a suit against G.E. about this problem so that may be the reason.  Perhaps this will grow to cover all of them if this suit spreads.

#16 JAD011

JAD011

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:22 PM

Pegi,

Thanks for the great information.  My model is covered in the service bulletin, and I just looked at the class action filing.  It appears the plaintiff is dealing with the same problems I'm having.  Too bad I don't live in FL.  As you said, maybe this action will grow and force GE to handle the problem in a little more customer-friendly way.

JAD

#17 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

http://bringgoodthingstolife.org/

#18 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:51 AM

You are quite welcome Jed.....;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics