Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirpool dishwasher leaking - what is this part (photo)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tom K

Tom K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

Hi all,

We have a slight leak in our Whirpool dishwasher GU1200XTKT0.  I say slight, but it was enough to cause our wood floor to buckle a bit :(

The water drips from the bottom loop of a black hose that goes from the water inlet valve up to the outside of the dishwasher shell.  The black hose attaches to the piece below, which then attaches to the left side of the shell.  On the inside is a vent-looking piece that screws into this and holds it against the side wall.

I'm trying to determine if this is the leaking part, but I'm confused about its function.  What does this piece do?  Is it prone to leaking?

Thanks

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Tom K

Tom K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

I should add that the part number on the piece is 8269240. Internet sites have said that it has been superceded by part number 8193508. Thanks.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:31 PM

RepairClinic shows it as "Water Inlet Kit"

http://www.repaircli...rchText=8269240

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Tom K

Tom K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for the pointer.
Would someone be so kind as to explain how a dishwasher works? I don't mean in great detail, but an overview. This would help me to diagnose my leak.
For example, I understand the water inlet valve has a solenoid which opens/closes to allow water to flow into the dishwasher. Evidently it goes through this black hose up to this "water inlet kit". What I don't understand is what this mechanism does(?)
I'm a technical guy, but don't know anything about dishwashers. I assumed the water line would connect to spray arms, etc. I didn't think it would come in through a hole in the side panel. Does this water just spray over the dishes and into the basin? I'm trying to understand how this works, if this is under pressure, to help diagnose my leak.
Anyone care to provide an overview of the flow (excuse the pun :)) of water through a dishwasher?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:59 AM

Point Voyager Dishwasher Service Manual

#7 is Water Inlet Valve

http://www.partselect.com/Schematics/Whirlpool/G6FPODPD.gif

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:13 AM

The cavity is vented at the water inlet assembly. The venting is needed because of the initial pressure build up when the machine fills, and when the wash motor starts pumping water. With out the vent, the machine would blow air/water out around the door seals when started.

Get the kit and put it in. It's hard to know why it's leaking, but you've traced the water leak to that spot, and there isn't anything else there. You'll need to pull out the dishwasher to access the side.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 Tom K

Tom K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:55 AM

Thanks very much for the feedback. I suppose it could be the rubber gasket leaking as well. It's pretty flattened. I'll buy the kit.

For my own education, is this piece dual-pupose, i.e., sprays water into the tank and also is the external vent?

And if this is the primary way that water enters the dishwasher, I'm very curious about how the water get into the spray arms? As I said, I'm still learning how these things work. Fascinating. I appreciate the info.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:01 AM

[user=47744]Tom K[/user] wrote:

...I'm very curious about how the water get into the spray arms? ...

through the Wash/Pump Motor as shown in the Service Manual posted above ..

Page 9 (PDF page 13)

#9 Tom K

Tom K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for the pointer to the drawing.  Excellent resource.
I'm sorry to be so dense on this, and I think I'm starting to get it. Does the Wash/Pump Motor get its water from the water in the basin? Wow. I would have thought it had a direct water feed. Where does it get the clean water for rinsing?

#10 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

The correct name is an " anti-siphon device "  Any item that is connected to a city water supply must have  the device installed.....Dishwasher, washing machine, ice maker, a water truck filling up at the fire hydrant......   There must be an air break after the water ( inlet ) valve........  The theory is that if there was no air break, and the fire dept opened a  few water hydrants/ fire plugs out on the street and with the flow of water out of the hydrants...There could be a siphon action/sucking water out of the appliance..Then there would be contaminated water in the drinking water...

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

[user=47744]Tom K[/user] wrote:

... Does the Wash/Pump Motor get its water from the water in the basin?

Where does it get the clean water for rinsing?

Yes...

New water enters after draining dirty water ... just like a clothes washer ...

#12 Tom K

Tom K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

This site is awesome! Everything makes perfect sense now. I have the info I need and I very much appreciate it!

Thanks guys!

#13 Tom K

Tom K

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Final update.

I replaced the water inlet kit and that stopped my leak! I think the rubber washer/gasket was the actual cause. It likely dried up over the years and shrunk due to the heat. The new one is much thicker.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and the education on dishwashers :)

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics