Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

New Amana refrigerator - normal operating noise?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Susan

Susan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:31 PM

First of all, this is one great website, both informative and entertaining.

I bought an Amana bottom freezer refrigerator several months ago, model #ABB192DEW.  A few weeks after purchase I began noticing a noise it would make shortly after cycling on.  It lasts 15 seconds or so then stops, although I can periodically hear it while the refrigerator is running.  I think it’s coming from the top or back of the freezer compartment.  Best I can describe it would be a creaky clicky sound - like something is turning or moving and could benefit from a dose of household oil.  The Sears repairman said it was a normal operating noise that had something to do with the new refrigerant that’s being used in the refrigerators now, although he was unable to explain why I didn’t hear it during the first few weeks I had it.  One other thing I’ve noticed - if I happen to have the freezer open at the time the refrigerator cycles on, I may hear this mysterious sound for only for a few seconds, if at all.  Whatever it is, it’s driving me nuts, as it has gotten louder over time.  Other than that, everything seems to be working fine so far.  Any advice?    Thank you. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:06 PM

Howdy! The noise with your fridge is going to be one of two things, one benign, the other malignant.

The Benign: The compressor's high pressure line is vibrating against the frame or something else in that cramped compresor compartment. Ain't no thang.

The Malignant: Compressor valve clatter. This is a progressively deteriorating condition that ultimately results in compressor failure. Thank the pot-bellied Buddah that you have a 5 year warranty on that bad boy.

One is Holy, One is Guacamole. Which is Which? Good question. To answer it, you'll need to drop the rear service panel and locate the source of the noise visually. Unplug the fridge, drop the rear panel, plug the fridge back in. Piece of pie, comrade!

#3 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

some fridges have a problem of when they first turn on you will hear a sound like you describe what you are hearing is the freon boiling in the cap. tube as the pressure builds the freon will boil in the evaperator where it is supposed to. frigidaire had a bulletin on this a while ago, their fix was to add a small amount of dry nitrogen. what this does is add more volume to the freon forcing the refrigerant to boil in the evap from the start.

what does this all mean. well without actually listening to it in person i dont know if this is your problem. but if this is all it is then you have nothing to worry about.

RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#4 ApplianceTech

ApplianceTech

Unsui

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:11 PM

Is the refrigerator cooling properly? If not a cap-tube separation comes to mind. Of course this isn't an issue on refrigerators with a coaxial heat exchanger. Could possibly be the cap-tube clanging against the suction line. Hard to diagnose this one though without pulling the refrigerator away from the wall.

#5 Susan

Susan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

Seems to be cooling fine.  It's just very irritating to listen to each time the fridge comes on.  Guess I'll print off the suggestions I received and hire someone other than Sears to come take a look. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics